Frothy pints - possibly gas related? Help needed!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liams-Budweiser-Bar

Reaction score
Hey all

I have just set up my Maxi 210 2 lime beer chiller and Font with 60/40 gas and Budweiser barrel (only using 1 like at the moment).

Firstly, I was expecting to peer into the hole at the top of the maxi 210 and see a block of ice once it had been running a while but all I can see and hear is moving water but I gather that’s the feed and return that runs all the way up the beer line to the font.

That line is very cold to touch and although there is no condensation the font itself is definitely colder than when the unit isn’t on so I think it’s working ok

The beer seems cold when it comes out but it’s very very lively

I am wondering if my gas regulator is set too high but after tampering a little with it this evening I couldn’t seem to get it to change a lot

If anyone could advise what I can do/try from the below pics I’d greatly appreciated a smaller head on my pints of Budweiser haha

I also don’t know if I’m paranoid but I think the lager does taste a little too gassy

Thanks I’m advance!

Attachments

• BC107A78-BC74-4381-886E-F23BC5BBE462.jpeg
    BC107A78-BC74-4381-886E-F23BC5BBE462.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1131.jpeg
    IMG_1131.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
I suspect your gas pressure is a little too high. Turning the pressure down will not have a big impact initially because the beer itself is still highly carbonated.

You could turn off the gas and depressurise the keg or serve a few pints to allow the beer to decarbonate a little and then turn the gas back on at a lower pressure.

Thanks for the advice

So just to be clear, lower the pressure at the regulator (Turn the Hex nut anti clockwise I take it? No indicator on it annoyingly)

And then turn off the gas bottle and keep pouring until it stops?

Then open the gas bottle again which should hopefully be at a lower pressure?

Thanks for the advice

So just to be clear, lower the pressure at the regulator (Turn the Hex nut anti clockwise I take it? No indicator on it annoyingly)

And then turn off the gas bottle and keep pouring until it stops?

Then open the gas bottle again which should hopefully be at a lower pressure?
That’s right.

You might be able to get the pressure about right if you turn the hex nut anti-clockwise maybe half to one turn, turn off the gas, pour pints until you’re happy, turn on the gas and turn up the pressure until you just about hear gas flowing into the keg, turn the hex nut back 1/8 of a turn. Hopefully, this will then give you the right pressure to dispense beer and maintain carbonation at the right level.

That’s right.

You might be able to get the pressure about right if you turn the hex nut anti-clockwise maybe half to one turn, turn off the gas, pour pints until you’re happy, turn on the gas and turn up the pressure until you just about hear gas flowing into the keg, turn the hex nut back 1/8 of a turn. Hopefully, this will then give you the right pressure to dispense beer and maintain carbonation at the right level.
Thank you I'll give it a go!

If you vent the gas pressure off it will build up again as the CO2 comes out of the beer. You may need to do this a few times before turning the gas back on to a serving pressure depending on how much gas the beer as absorbed

Is it a bit frothier on the first pint of the evening, or does that carry on? Sometimes you just need to pour a half to help the line/tap cool down to serving temperature.

Another thing to look at is whether you're seeing bubbles in the beer line itself while pouring. If you do then that can be a sign the serving pressure is too low

Is it a bit frothier on the first pint of the evening, or does that carry on? Sometimes you just need to pour a half to help the line/tap cool down to serving temperature.

Another thing to look at is whether you're seeing bubbles in the beer line itself while pouring. If you do then that can be a sign the serving pressure is too low
No bubbles from what I could see and I did pour 2 (such a shame I had to drink them) last night just to ensure it wasnt just warm in the pipes

Back