AG #1

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_Mc

Regular.
Reaction score
Really undecided about which brew I should start off with and being eager to start an AG brew, I scanned the recipe lists and also posted what could I do with the ingredients I had.

Armed with MD's slightly altered Poltergeist Porter recipe I started at 5pm.

4500.00 gm Pale Malt, Maris Otter
250.00 gm Chocolate Malt
50.00 gm Black (Patent) Malt
55.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (90 min)
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.40 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

1 Pkgs SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL Yeast #T-58) Yeast-Ale or S-04
DSCF1019.jpg

Water heated to 76c and when doughed in I had 66c

DSCF1021.jpg

After tucking brew in with an old sleeping bag, time for a drink, purely to settle my nerves.

DSCF1023.jpg

90 min later I have 65.5c

DSCF1025.jpg

Here is where I start to have problems. Every few minuets the strainer gets clogged

DSCF1044.jpg

finally get there, sorry was I little busy to take a pic when sparging with my shower head

DSCF1052.jpg

Boiler on, which held a nice rolling boil with just one element on

DSCF1060.jpg

Drained to FV, just a tad under 5gallons

DSCF1075.jpg

Make shift chiller took about 40min to get to 21c

DSCF1102.jpg

Finished at 1030, no that was the time :D brews OG was 1052.

Woke this morning wanting weetabix for my breakfast :wha: and its starting to ferment.

Anyone have a spitfire clone recipe?

Thanks Dave, The beer in pic 3 is the Edme stout with a coffee tweak you told me about, very nice.

Here is where I start to have problems. Every few minuets the strainer gets clogged

I run my wort from the mash tun tap with a length of silicon tube attached. I have not had any clogging problems yet as I think the weight of the wort in the tube helps pull the wort through. However, I am not sure if that is advised or whether it is best to let in drop out naturally but so far I have had great sparge efficency. Its not like its being pumped out.

:thumb: great looking brewday - lots more to come i reckon :D what sort of strainer have you got in the bottom of your mash tun?

Thanks everyone :cheers:

rickthebrew said:
:thumb: great looking brewday - lots more to come i reckon :D what sort of strainer have you got in the bottom of your mash tun?

Rick I've bodged this one up, think I'll cut a few more slots for next time

DSCF1003.jpg

robsan77 said:

I run my wort from the mash tun tap with a length of silicon tube attached. I have not had any clogging problems yet as I think the weight of the wort in the tube helps pull the wort through. However, I am not sure if that is advised or whether it is best to let in drop out naturally but so far I have had great sparge efficency. Its not like its being pumped out.

I'm with you, will give it a go when I do my next :thumb:

Looks OK to me - slots faced down yeah? A few more slots would probably help though but i`ve seen very simular designs on other peoples set ups . I`m sure the next brew will be fine :thumb:

IMGP1555.jpg

I made my slots by hand and used a junior hacksaw - took for ever but worth the effort when your suppin your own brew!

Nice one :thumb:
Hope it turns out to your liking :pray:
No stopping you now, brew more play more :thumb:

Spent ages cutting more slots so will see how the next brew goes. Also will get some tubing sorted.

Smells lovely and has really started fermenting away. Better get a towel around it to prevent any mess or I'll be in trouble :D

Sean :cheers:

Congratulations on the first brew Sean, looking good :thumb:
Try drilling some 3mm holes between the slots in your hop strainer, the perceived wisdom is slots for grain holes for hops ;)

Would 3mm holes be okay, I've ran out of 2mm doing the scavanger.

With my mash tunn being an adapted bucket I might have a go at Daab's plate. :hmm:

Back