AG 2 Started :) (now with a few pics)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally getting AG2 on the go after realising I have no beer for Xmas!

I am vaguely following the recipie MacKiwi posted (but will actually use Dark Crystal Rather than Rye ;) )

Old Speckled Hen Clone (The Oceana Jen)

The name is based on the fact that my wife developed a taste for Old Speckled Hen when we were on holiday on a cruise ship (The Oceana)

4.6kg pale malt
560g dark crystal
454g golden syrup

558789_10151120318952027_837261332_n.jpg

Mash over night starting at 70 degrees (will see what it go's down to by the morning).

Boil for 90 mins
40g northern brewer @ 60 mins
20g east kent goldings @ 15 mins
Protofloc Tablet @ 15 mins
15g east kent goldings @ 5 mins (add golden syrup at this point)

yeast S04

Going to try the mash over night due to time constraints of having a family :)

Boiler is on now, once it hits about 73/74 I will turn off the element and put the bag in & start to fill it with the grain and then give it a good stir and wrap it up for the night :)

Yeah, not had much time to get on here :(

AG1 was a good beer, just wasnt hobgoblin :?

This got down to 61 overnight so not too bad :)

Just getting the hops ready now and then on to the boil! That will cheer the family up as they wake up :D

374405_10151120318967027_992013479_n.jpg

already got ag3 planned too, the stout kit that the malt miller sells (decided to make better use of postage costs!)

May try & get AG3 on sometime this week :) - if there was no family here today I would prob go for 2 in 1 day :) instead they are here and moaning about the smell!

:thumb: Good choice, this is looking like turning into a good beer for me (dispite my mistake with the ingredients). I'm not sure it'll be drinking at its best for Christmas though - I get the feeling it'll improve with some ageing. No worries if its not - its strong enough that after 1/2 a pint you won't care! :D

All went well, its all cooled now too, just pitched the yeast @21 happy with that :)

I just managed to negotiate ag3 with my wife "since the house smells anyway I might as well do another brew" to my amazement she agreed, I was about to open the grain when I realised I had just used my last packet of yeast :(

Maybe next time...

I think the SG is really high because you added a bottle of golden syrup.

Your gravity readings and projected alchohol percentage are about the same as for me when I brewed this recipe. It is too early for me to say how it will turn out (will be bottling it this weekend), but strong it certainly is!

Well I have finally added pics of this brewday, looks like the ferment is almost done already (next to no activity that I can see) will start taking readings soon I think.

Hoping to get this lot in 2 10L polypins and bottle what's left over, will have to order the pins soon....

May even manage to get AG3 on today :)

Back