AG#26 Parti-Gyle brew. Starvation Point Smoked Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanipops

Reaction score
Morning all I'm going to be adding pix to these on an "as live" basis. As I speak the strong beer is mashing away, hopefully as near to 67C as I can get it. I noticed some variance in the mash depending on where I shoved the thermometer.

I prepared by weighing the grains out and preparing the liquor last night. In terms of liquor preparation all I did was add half a campden tablet to 66l of water (thank got I have a 10 gal boiler). I decanted 25L of that to the HLT and set the stat to 80c and the timer to 7am and this time I remembered to set my alarm for 8am.

Recipe

Grain bill:

6.65kg MO
982g Rauchmalz (i.e. all I had left)
660g Melanoidin Malt
200g Pale Chocolate Malt
200g Chocolate Malt
200g Brown Malt
250g Carafa I
150g Peat Smoked Malt

+ 1.5kg MO kept back to cap the mash.

Strong beer - Hop Schedule

31g Fuggles 5.4%AA FWH
29g Goldings 5.2%AA FWH
18g Fuggles @20mins

Small Beer - Hop Schedule

26g Fuggles FWH
23g Goldings FWH
10g Bramling Cross 7.2% @ 20mins
10g Fuggles @ 20 mins

Yeast for both will be windsor.

Grain Weighed Out
IMAG0312.jpg

Mashed in

IMAG0313.jpg

First Wort Hops Weighed out

IMAG0314.jpg

Some more pix

Mashing out adding 14L at 90c

IMAG0323.jpg

First runnings

IMAG0319.jpg

Using my wort pump to recirc the wort back into the grain bed

IMAG0320.jpg

Pumping wort from collecting vessel to the boiler

IMAG0321.jpg

First Wort Hops in

IMAG0322.jpg

Annoyingly the power tripped when I was capping the mash so I forgot to take the picture but just accept that 1.5kg of MO was added to the grain bed, the contents of the HLT was emptied into it and I gave it a good stir.

Looking good Sean. I see that pump is working well, that's my next upgrade I think.

Looking back, Nunfa, I wonder how I managed without it. Although driving it by hand is a bit of a bind. I'll probably get a compressor soon.

Just uploading some more pix.

OK, I've dropped my middle kid off at his music lesson while the first boil is coming to an end. Before I left I chucked the chillers in to sanitise them in the boil and added the 20 min hops.

IMAG0325.jpg

At 12.10 I've dropped the protofloc in, then 5 minutes later killed the power (intentionally this time :rofl: ) and started to chill.

While that's chilling I am recircing and sparging the small beer

IMAG0326.jpg

So, in this pic you've got the run off from the mash tun in the front and the run off from the boiler in the back.

IMAG0328.jpg

Now the money shot, 1068 at 28C corrected to 1070, so if it ferments out to 1010 we'll have a 7.9% brew

IMAG0329.jpg

In the meantime the Windsor yeast is going bonkers

IMAG0330.jpg

And the timer is on for the boil of brew number two

IMAG0316.jpg

The last few pics

IMAG0331.jpg

Nothing to do with brewing but it's good to have the cows back in the field out the back

This is the second batch of yeast.

1302360918609.jpg

The second runnings
IMAG0334.jpg

Adjusted OG came out at 1040.
IMAG0335.jpg

I ended up with 25L of the small beer and 22L of the strong beer
IMAG0336.jpg

Using the warm water from the chillers to clean out the mash tun.

IMAG0332.jpg

A successful day then, well done. 1040 is not a bad OG either, should be a nice session beer.

Oh, that's good. My settings in Beersmith are based on 75% efficiency so good to know.

Latest posts

Back