AG#3 & 4 recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Goatreich

Landlord.
Reaction score
Here's the planned recipes for AG#3 & 4, they're both taken from Graham Wheeler's book. Anyone with experience of them got any recommendations for change or alterations or are they generally just good to go?

AG#3 Caledonian Deuchars IPA
Brew length 23l
Mash and boil for 90 minutes
Recipe edited out

AG#4 Fuller's London Porter

Brew lenth 23l
Mash and boil 90 minutes
Recipe edited out

I'm going to use protofloc tablets instead of the book's recommended Irish Moss for convenience sake, unless anyone says I should do otherwise.

What kind of yeast would people recommend for these brews?

If you can get hold of a bottle of Fullers Bengal Lancer you can culture Fullers' own yeast from the sediment. It's a cracking yeast, ferments well & really compacts down and sticks to the bottom of the bottle.

All GW's recipes are good, and out of respect to him you shouldn't be posting his recipes online, most people would just refer to the beer from GW's book. You can't go wrong by following his recipes, good luck with them

Dave1970 said:
If you can get hold of a bottle of Fullers Bengal Lancer you can culture Fullers' own yeast from the sediment. It's a cracking yeast, ferments well & really compacts down and sticks to the bottom of the bottle.
Cheers, do you think this will work for both brews, or just the porter?

If you use the fullers yeast remeber to keep the temp down below 19c I believe it doesn't like higher temps.

:thumb:

I'm struggling to control temperature even with a water bath and aquarium heater at the moment, so maybe the fuller's yeast isn't a good solution until I can get a fermenting fridge setup. Currently it sits between 18 and 20, but on occasion the heater hasn't clicked on and the water in the bath is down to 15-16C.

Fuller's yeast should be okay to 20c, there was a "Can You Brew it" episode some time ago with an interview with Mr Keeling (head brewer?) and he described the Fuller's fermentation for 1845 I think it was. Pitch at 17c, raise to 20c then lower it again, something like that anyway :)

I think it's in here somewhere. :cheers:

Also here.

I knew you couldn't ferment it at 21 thought it was 19. But clearly from the horses mouth 20 it is. :thumb:

However it is the early stages of fermentation which is most important with regards to flavour and 17c is quite low.

Latest posts

Back