General AG brewing questions.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherman

Reaction score
Morning All

I have been brewing AG for a couple of years now and achieving drinkable results. I have been meaning to ask some questions regarding moving on and improving that I can’t find the answer too and would be interested in other people opinions. If it’s been covered, happy to look at links etc.

I use a Brewster 40L so it only has a pump out option rather than a tap.

1. I use hop pellets in a disposable hop bag. Does this reduce the flavour. I do have a hop spider but haven’t really tried it.

2. If you add hops at 60 for a 60 minute boil, do you then take them out at 0…prior to cooling or are they ok to stay there? If I was using a bag, removing them wouldn’t be an option anyway, would it?

3. After cooling I pump to my FV. There is always gunk in the bottom in around 2 or 3 litres or wort-ish. I use either Irish moss or protofloc. I currently stop at this point and switch the pump off, ditching what’s left. Is this the best thing to do or will it settle out in the FV?

4. My beers always finish stronger than they should be. I seem to get the boil off/sparge amounts right and there’s usually 23-24lts to transfer to the FV. Am I just getting more from the grain than the recipes allow for? More efficient? The OG is usually a couple of points high and the FG a couple of points lower. I use a fridge/ink bird combo.

I think that’s it. Many thanks for any replies on any/all points you have.

1. I don't know the Brewster 40l but if there's any kind of filter / false bottom before you pump out I would just put pellet hops loose in the boil, that'll use them best.

2. No need to take them out before cooling.

3. It's fine either way. If you do put it in the FV it will indeed just settle out.

4. If OG is consistently higher, and your volume measurements are accurate, then yes, you're more efficient than the recipe is allowing. You can either adjust recipes, liquor back (add water) to the FV, or live with it. FG being lower has lots of possibilities, it always varies a bit as there are so many factors. But if it's consistently lower it's possible your mash temperature is a bit low.

1. I don't know the Brewster 40l but if there's any kind of filter / false bottom before you pump out I would just put pellet hops loose in the boil, that'll use them best.

2. No need to take them out before cooling.

3. It's fine either way. If you do put it in the FV it will indeed just settle out.

4. If OG is consistently higher, and your volume measurements are accurate, then yes, you're more efficient than the recipe is allowing. You can either adjust recipes, liquor back (add water) to the FV, or live with it. FG being lower has lots of possibilities, it always varies a bit as there are so many factors. But if it's consistently lower it's possible your mash temperature is a bit low.
Many thanks for the reply.

My Brewster does have a bazooka style filter fitted to the pump inlet. Next brew I will just tip the hops in and see how it does. I’ll will also try pumping everything into the FV and see how we go, I think I loose about 2 Lt of wart however, it’s very clear.

I brewed to today and unusually I was a couple of points low on the OG! Typical :)

Can you adjust the efficiency in the software you are using. I've got mine set to around 90% because I BIAB and squeeze the last drops out of it 🙂
Hi there.

I don’t use any software at the minute. I tend to buy AG Kits from various places and the OG/FG is taken from there.

Today I brewed my first non kit AG using a recipe from Greg Hughes’s book however it the OG was a little low for a change!

What beer styles are you brewing?

Only asking because the brewster is a European version of brew monk / brewvolution etc etc. So guessing you are not in the UK?
Hi MashBag

I’m am in Norfolk bud and bought the Brewster from Get’er brewed

I do all sorts of styles, whatever takes my fancy. Haven’t done a lager style yet. A few IPA, couple of golden ales, a Wit and I have a stout in the FV and now the pieterbier from yesterday

Latest posts

Back