AG#3 - London Pride clone. High SG?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakey.goodman

Reaction score
I finished my AG#3 yesterday, but it has quite a high SG (1050 instead of 1040). I am trying to figure out where I went wrong? Do I need to try and correct it, or do I just leave it?

All I can think of is mash effeciency? I know that I collected 27l of wort at a corrected gravity reading of 1.040. The beer calculator reckons I got 88% effeciency? Is that too high?

This is the 3rd batch now, and I keep missing my SG. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong!

Jakey if you jot down your reciepe and a brief outline of technique times and temperatures as well as the Hydrometer readings you will get better quality feedback.

My tuppence worth

leave the beer at 1050 and get drunk faster. :party: you can dilute back to 1040 with treated water. :shock:

get to know your equipment, get a routine going so that you can change one thing and see what effect it has.

sometimes the grain itself can be the factor but normally lower efficency not higher.

too many variables to be sure what the cause

mash is at same temp each brew 66-68 and does not drop over the mash and the water:grain ratio is somewhere around 2.5 to 3 then that can be ruled out

Sparging is the next place to look, liquor temp hot enough to disolve those sweet sugars out, time you have to give time for the sugars to disolve, batch/fly batch is less efficent but simpler, channelling only in fly sparging.

then you can look at dead spaces etc.

Personally don't worry about anything if the beer tastes good.

Latest posts

Back