AG#3 Olde Wizard Stout (experiment)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevetk189

Reaction score
I actually brewed this last weekend but wanted to wait and see how it looked before posting. It's a bit of a hybrid recipe with some of my own tweaks thrown in and have been a bit embarrassed to share it, incase it's utter cack :) I bottled it yesterday and it smells grand, looks grand and tastes good for this early stage.

Well, seeing as though Naich on another forum has hopefully started a new (less boring) grain shot trend :) I thought I'd join in.

The obligatory grain shot with a rabbit with a pancake on its head.

001wabbit.JPG

Quite a hefty bulk of grains for me this one.

Pale Malt
Flaked Barley
Roasted Barley
Amber Malt
Black Malt
Torrified Wheat

Running off from my mash tun, the extra insulation has made all the difference. This time the temp stayed bang on 66C for the 90 minutes mash time.

002.JPG

Question re: running off from mash tun. Someone on a French forum I lurk around on wrote that I shouldn't allow the mash run off to splash and aerate as it causes oxidation. I thought that seeing as though the wort goes fairly quickly to the boil and has all O2 driven out anyway this wouldn't matter. Should I take heed of his warning or should I palm slap him in the face?

003.JPG

My new spargy thing doing its spargy thing. I've kept using the slotted foil BBQ tray over the grain bed as although this system does spread the sparge liquor better I think the tray also helps a lot too.

007.JPG

Bittering hops, load of Target as I need to use these up. I just took a new delivery and the bag of Target was rapidly approaching out of date :(

008.JPG

Chilled to 80C to add aroma hops, 8g each of Cascade, EKG and Northern Brewer. Gave them 20 minutes then began to drop the wort temp ready for transfer to the FV.

009.JPG

I think I managed to aerate the wort sufficiently this time.

011.JPG

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast doing its thang a few hours later.

007.JPG

Bottled, this one's clear so I can see what's going on in there. The others are Pelforth Brune swing top 650ml. Very thick dark glass. Lovely looking things, nice and chunky.

Well there you go, 3 down :) I need to get some more pale malt now so I'm on hold for a while :( although I've got my eye on a few apple trees around here to have a crack at zum zoider!

Latest posts

Back