AG#4 LanzaHoppy - overnight mashing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeyptfc

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi troops, started AG#4 tonight, wanted to sneak a brew in before I go to Lanzarote on Thursday,named it LanzaHoppy,***** I know, made up a random ass grain bill and hop schedule. I know Mike (Bigyin) is an overnight masher and has had no problems so I thought I would give it a go, I've got some packing :lol: and ironing :eek: to do tomorrow so heated the mash water, doughed in and mash tun was all wrapped up for 10.25pm at spot on 66 degrees. the 2 hours I will save tomorrow will be helpful. will prob be doing a live forum brew/boil tomorrow , if Ive got the time I'll take some photos!

grain bill was:
Marris Otter - 4400g
caramalt - 244g
light crystal malt 455g all I had left and decided to bung the whole bag in
wheat malt 100g

hop schedule
challenger & magnum 15 g each @ 90 mins
protofloc @ 15 mins
styrian golding 11g @ 10 mins
styrian golding 16 @ 5 mins
styrian golding 22 @ 0 mins
yeast - safale 04

made this up with brewmate, it gave ibu as 35.9, og 1.044

still a complete novice making up recipes, this is my first one I've made up myself, I might have chosen the wrong quantites of malt etc but I thought I'll give it a bash and learn from my mistakes, I'm sure it will be drinkable and I will get an idea of what quantites of each malt I like.

cheers :drunk:

Looks good to me by the percentages and IBU to gravity and doing something unknown is part of the fun if you ask me :cool: Have a great holiday with the thought the brew will be almost ready by the time you come back :drink:
Looking forward to the pics...but not of the ironing though :lol:

cheers for the comments, thats made me feel alot better!I did think there was a chance it would increase efficiency with mashing so long.just up and tested the overnight mash temp, dropped down to 59 degrees C.hlt on with sparge water. will take photos along the way and post them all later of my wonderful crisply ironed shirts :D

just running the mash liqour into the fv before sparging, its clearer and alot sweeter than the previous brews I've had, good ole overnight mash has worked a treat.

Interested too see how this one goes I 'm going to start overnight mashes when i come back of hols so I can do back to back brewdays :party: :party:

Always seems a waste to throw all that hot water from cooling down the drain. :lol: :lol:

the boil is well underway and first hops added. ended up with 35 litres pre boil so should end up somewhere around 25L post boil after losses. didn't realise I had taken so many photos already :grin: some randoms ones of my dog who wasnt getting up until I got the schmackos out. also my suit case and a bit of ironing, and tonights dinner, the best curry sauce mix ever, oh aye and a cup thats meant to be a booby. :rofl:

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

Lovely colour runnings abey ...Great alternative brew day pics :lol: :cool: ...but the ironing :nono: :lol: ...not going to miss that suitcase on the belt :grin:

Looks good Abey. Enjoy your holiday - I expect Thistle will be relegated by the time you get back. :grin:

rest of the photos,had a cracking day, everything went as planned, no thrills, no spills, even the cleaning at the end was a doddle, managed to whip up the chicken curry for tonight, do the dishwasher, feed the dug and go round to the shops. now to packing..... :x
chilling
IMG_0933.jpg

runnings
IMG_0934.jpg

nice and clear for once
IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

sitting about 1.052, **** photo, target og was 1.045 so I think with the overnight mash I've increased my effish.
IMG_0939.jpg

hit 25 litres on the shnibb
IMG_0940.jpg

pitching dry yeast, couldn't be bothered rehydrating.
IMG_0942.jpg

the packet sprinkle is always something i share with the missus. after all the hard work, pitching the yeast for the magic to begin is the most satisfying part because it's so easy and, well - ceremonial. don't knock it :cheers:

looks great dude, should be a great bitter! :cheers:

Dunfie said:
Looks good Abey. Enjoy your holiday - I expect Thistle will be relegated by the time you get back. :grin:

haha theres more chance of the rangers being relegated after that last week. totally forgot about the beers for the comp, I'll come over with a few bottles for you to try when I get back, maybe get a brewday for the locals again?

cheers Rob, I hope it is aswell!

went back into brewmate and increased my efficiency until the projected og was 1.052 and it says I got 80%. I did sparge alot slower than last time aswell which has helped, might overnight mash all the time! :grin:

Back