AG#4 - MOB HOGLIN - Hob Goblin Clone.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
corby_brewer said:
Original post now edited to keep some people happy.

I only asked you why you removed Orfy from the originl post

I know not to ask in future :shock:

Hi Corby
slightly off the beaten track with this one but the plug of my baby burco has been getting extremely hot after an hour of boiling... this happen to yours? I can just get away with a brewday with the missus but if I fused the electrics I think the damage (brewing wise) might take some repairing.

With the hobgoblin, it's a real shame to see it spoiled. I did some work back a while on trying to copy hobgobin and it's damn close to yours, wasn't completely happy with it though. Drank it all the same :eek:
I'll hook it out when I get home from work and post it if you like.

Tony said:
Hi Corby
slightly off the beaten track with this one but the plug of my baby burco has been getting extremely hot after an hour of boiling... this happen to yours? I can just get away with a brewday with the missus but if I fused the electrics I think the damage (brewing wise) might take some repairing.

They will do. I assume the baby burco has a 3kw element.

The problem is that normal plugs are not designed to carry that amount of current for a long period of time. Make sure that the pins are clean, and it's better to use a good quality make of plug and socket, such as MK.

Even better is to use a commando (blue round) plugs and sockets. They're designed to carry up to 16A for long periods.

I'm regularly called out to change plugs and sockets for a fellow brewer :|

Hi Tony
Ive never had a problem with the plug on my buro getting hot. But what i tend to do, to be on the safe side is plug it into an extension lead which is fitted with a safty switch. So if it ever does get to hot you only trip the extenion and not the mains.

Many thanks to you both for the replies... I'll try both suggestions I think .. RCD on an extension lead and rewire (yes it is 3kw) the whole thing with new plug!

Excellent and many thanks!

Tony said:
Many thanks to you both for the replies... I'll try both suggestions I think .. RCD on an extension lead and rewire (yes it is 3kw) the whole thing with new plug!
Excellent and many thanks!

An RCD will only protect when it detects current leakage to earth rather than overcurrent.

But it's definately a good idea to have one, especially when water and electrics are around.

I've got a 30L burco that I use as a HLT,never had a problem with the plug or socket getting hot either.And I also used it as a boiler in an emergency one time. :oops:

Hope you get it sorted as they are great to use. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back