AG#5 - Hefeweizen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pittsy said:
Nice 1 , did you get any vanilla smells too . Lovely yeast that .

Yes it did! To be fair it smelled nothing like franziskaner or erdinger? these are the only ones I'm familiar with atm and I've had 1 or 2 weihenstephaner but don't remember those smelling quite like this either. Not necessarily a bad thing though of course :). Lol can't wait to try one.

Will deffo try one next weekend nobyipa!

Tried one tonight it was awesome! Really pleased with how it turned out dispite my errors!
Tastes nothing like erdinger really much stronger flavours :).

How was the carbonation? I have held back on mine, but bottled about the same time as you (15th March)...

Worth opening one of mine, or is it likely to still be flat?

Looks like a nice wheat beer and sounds tasty. Surprised at how dark it is for your grain bill, did you boil for longer or is it just the camera?

brewtim said:
Looks like a nice wheat beer and sounds tasty. Surprised at how dark it is for your grain bill, did you boil for longer or is it just the camera?

The camera has darkened it a little but I was also surprised about the darkness! Especially as my boiler didn't really take off very well and cut out several times. As you can see from the pictures in the mash it looks very pale there doesn't it.

marksa222 said:
How was the carbonation? I have held back on mine, but bottled about the same time as you (15th March)...

Yeah give it a try! I popped mine in the freezer for a little while because I'm impatient :oops: haha. It was lovely though! Carbonation was spot on! Going to give the bottles the full 2 weeks to carb up in the fermentation fridge still though.

I ended up using around 320g of beerkit enhancer to prime. I forgot to make a not of it though which is a bit embaressing so I'm not entirely sure! :oops:

Wow, 320g? Nice and fizzy! I only used carb drops. I had a pack lying round so thought why not...

Having thought about it now though, I'm not sure it'll be carbed enough... I used 2 drops per 500ml, but not sure what volume it goes to. I'll try one soon... I'll whack it in the fridge when I get in and might tuck in later on today.

Pinchy said:
marksa222 said:

Yeah give it a try! I popped mine in the freezer for a little while because I'm impatient :oops: haha. It was lovely though! Carbonation was spot on! Going to give the bottles the full 2 weeks to carb up in the fermentation fridge still though.

I ended up using around 320g of beerkit enhancer to prime. I forgot to make a not of it though which is a bit embaressing so I'm not entirely sure! :oops:
Opps indeed , i would be worried with that much . I would guess that would be the same as around 250g plus of cane sugar , was it a 23 litre batch ? Around 150g would give you a lovely fizzy beer , 160 g max . Never done a 23 litre batch with more than that and that is approx 2.9 vol

I'll let you know if any bottles explode :S but it all seems ok so far! Remember beer kit enhancer is half DME so less fermentables. Also as I didn't note it down I could well be mistaken as the beer seems good and not overly fizzy! Oh well lesson for next time is be more careful and take not of it lol :).

[quote="brewtim" I wonder if that explains why it has darkened :hmm:[/quote]

Do you think that could be it?? As all of my other brews seem a little bit darker than expected too and I have used beer kit enhancer to prime every batch so far. Could it have been the wort caramelising on the element? Or would that not be it?

Latest posts

Back