AG#5 Suffolk X Dark

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle_T

The Essex Brewer
Reaction score
Hello once again,

Another successful brew day in the bag and on target, decided to have another go at a mild as my previous one wasn't exactly what I was after, this one finished on a much more promising note, had to liquor back a little after a very lively boil and over did it slightly, only by 200ml so it shouldn't affect it too much...I hope.

Here is the info:

Brew Length: 24.2L (After Liquor Back).
Efficiency: 75%
OG: 1.036
FG: 1.008 (Estimated).
ABV: 3.6%
IBU: 17
SRM: 24

Grain Bill:
3Kg Mild Ale Malt.
380g Crystal Malt - Medium.
190g Crystal Malt - Dark.
150g Black Malt.
100g Wheat Malt.

Strike Temp 74 deg/c.
90 minute mash at 68 deg/c.
Sparged at 80 deg/c.

Hops:
25g East Kent Goldings - 6.5% AA - 60 Minutes.

Boil Additions:
3g Irish Moss - 15 Minutes.

Yeast: Gervin GV-12 Ale Yeast 11g.

The samples that were taken were much closer to the result I was expecting compared to the first AG mild I made, a nice gentle bit of EKG aroma on the nose with a malt background, taste was excellent, a nice sweet caramel backed by a slight burnt toffee and roast flavour, nice and light on the body and mouthfeel but not watery, a pinch of bitterness nips the tongue before the malt comes through, I am very impressed with the colour, a brown/dark brown appearance with ruby red highlights when held up to a good light.

A few bottles will be made available for the TST competition and the rest in the Polypin, will ferment for 4 - 5 days and transfer to try a different method of priming.

I shall update as we go.

Cheers

Kyle

Damn it, can't edit the post. Just noticed it should be: 380g Crystal Malt - Dark and 190g Crystal Malt - Medium.

What a plonker.

KYLE
is that recipe based on something commercial or is it one your own,Im interested as you have called it suffolk x and I am originally from that neck of the woods.
I have tried to find mild recipes for some of the lost local brewers eg tolly,ridleys and not lost adnams .
thanks Paul

Hello Paul.

That recipe is one of my own based on the first mild I brewed some time ago, I called it Suffolk X as I was born in Suffolk and the X marks the strength, something I read about on the internet.

Hope this helps.

Kyle

A quick update, Final Gravity was 1.008 giving it a 3.7% ABV, transferred 21L into a Polypin and primed with 45g of cane sugar, now sitting behind the sofa to condition before going out to the garage, got 6 bottles to take up to the TST. A nice easy drinking pint of beer and the roast has started to come through a little more alongside the caramel and slight burnt toffee taste, very pleased overall, might make a few changes to the boil time and mash temps but other than that, no real changes needed.

Latest posts

Back