AG#6 - IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisb2k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all

A slightly damp but not too cold late autumn day just begging for a brew, so I unselfishly obliged !

This brew will be an IPA, adapted from a recipe I found whilst looking for a most elusive recipe for Fuller's Bengal Lancer. Suffice it to say I didn't find a recipe directly but stumbled upon one "in the style of" it, which is as close as I came to finding it.

The recipe called for some 125g of Fuggles hops, with a late addition of the same at 20 minutes and flame out. I didn't want it quite so bitter so used 76g up front, with Styrian Goldings at 20 minutes and the rest of my Fuggles pack at flame out, 20g.

Grain

4500g Maris Otter pale malt
150g Amber Malt
150g Flaked Barley
150g Torrefied Wheat

89cd94c6.jpg

Mash

Mash temperature: I went for 68'C and lost about half a degree over the 90 minutes which is great! Mash tun decided to dress up for Halloween ...

0a8f7dfb.jpg

Hops

76g Fuggles @ 90mins
20g Styrian Goldings @ 20mins
20g Fuggles @ 0mins

Ended up like this :)

c3e2ec65.jpg

Boil

The sparge this time only eventually got down to a hydrometer reading of .990 when I'd drained the HLT, and I liquored back a little during the boil due to evaporation loss, so expecting this to be fairly strong, close to the 5.3% Bengal Lancer gets in the bottle. Good old trusty Electrim boiler maintained a solid 99.6'C to 100'C for the whole boil. If only it was 30Lcapacity instead of 25L :) Touch and go again with the pre-boil foam up, but quick a blast from the hose, on sprinkle rather than power-hose this time, sorted that out.

e2b4976d.jpg

Yeast

White Labs WLP002 English Ale yeast pitched at 23.5'C

Gravity

QBrew said the OG should be up around 1.061, but I got a temperature corrected 1.053, so looking for it to come ferment down to 1.013 to give an ABV of 5.3%. Must look into why the gravity is always quite a lot lower than expected. It could be due to too much liquoring back during the boil, or perhaps, as previously stated, too fast a sparge though this time it was 1L per minute which should be fine.

Quite a nice colour this one. Amber, due most probably to the amber malt I would imagine :)

3732ade0.jpg

you are going to have to let me know how it tastes :thumb: :thumb:

been toying with a bengal theme beer for a while now :drink:

mrlard said:
you are going to have to let me know how it tastes :thumb: :thumb:

been toying with a bengal theme beer for a while now :drink:

Will do! :)

not convinced it will be all that much like Bengal Lancer but has the makings of a rather decent pint all the same :cheers:

Next day fermentation was well under way and now three days on I took a peak and it's still got a great yeast head on it so I'll probably leave it 14 days to complete and probably bottle rather than keg, ain reason being my cornie keg's still got my last one in it, but I reckon this one will do better in bottles.

Back