AG#63 - My first Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Landlord.
Reaction score
Decided a while back to start brewing different styles and types of beer to my normal pale ales. Reason is to have a wee library of styles and to expand my skills/knowledge/pallette. So far I've done a few belgians, saisons, fruit beers, etc and now it's the turn of a lager. 4 weeks ago I picked up a smack-pack of Wyeast 2007 (Pilsen lager) and I've grown it up twice in a 2L batch each time. Should probably be about 2-2.5 packs worth of healthy fresh yeast. Lovely stuff.

Fermentation plan for this is to let the wort chill to 11c and pitch the yeast. Then I will leave for 2-3 weeks and then raise the temp to 18c for 2 days then drop it by 1c every day until it's at 2c then leave it for a month.

Anyway, recipe is fairly simple and is based on Jamil's "To George" lager recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I thought his gravity was WAY to high and would have turned out a >7% lager so I dropped the starting gravity to 1056 meaning a 5.9% brew if all goes to plan.

6kg Pilsner malt
0.5kg Carapils

90 min boil

51g Saaz @ 60
61g Saaz @ 30
30g Saaz @ 10
30g Saaz @ 0

Protofloc, servynomes and WLN1000 @ 15 mins

I did an overnight mash to save time today as GP, etc was on. Sparged 1st thing and boil was going soon after. Ended up bang on 20 litres but I don't know the gravity as I broke my hydrometer. I always have a spare....went to get it....and the container was empty. Turns out I was using the spare! Anyway, I'm always inline with Beersmith so I'll have to assume it's in the region of 1056. I suspect it'll be slightly higher as my efficiency goes up slightly with an overnight mash.

Brew is currently at 19c which is as low as I can get through my chiller. It's in the ferment fridge chilling further and I'll pitch when it gets near 11c.

Here's some pics :

Running into boiler....it's almost clear!

After vorlof (spelling?) before sparge

Almost doen sparging

Scum forming

Boil on

The yeast - doesn't look much but it's a 5L flask!

Pre-chill hop soup

Break forming

Clumping together

**** photo - but this is whats left. Very effective filter!

Colour pic

I got a Pilsner clearing at the moment...smells great.

I pitched my yeast at 18c and let it get going before I dropped to 10C fermenting temperature

I was reading on the Wyeast site and they said that was an alternative and effective way to do it.

Might go and pitch the yeast just now and leave the fridge controller set to 11c so the yeast can get going in the warmer wort whilst the fridge settles out the temp.

Back the noo.

K

I would pitch my yeast at 2°C below fermentation if possible, I pitched mine this morning at 7°C (slurry taken from a batch kegged on Sat) and will ferment about 8-9°C for about 4 weeks with a raise in temp at the end if it needs it.

I've no proof but pitching at high temps can cause excess diacetyl, I say no proof as I have not tried it but it's what I've read elsewhere.

I've not pitched yet. It's sat at 15c and I'm keen to get it down a bit more before chucking yeast in.

The warmer start thing sounds appealing but I'm keen to produce a lager "by the book" so will stick to my original plan.

K

Yes, better to be safe than sorry. I got mine down to 16°C last night with my wort chiller and it was at 7°C in my fridge when I got up this morning.

Just pitched the yeast now. Wort got down to 12c and I aim to ferment at 11c. The STC1000 won't let it drop lower than this so hopefully the yeast will get going ASAP.

K

Was speaking to Jed about this yesterday actually. Probably going to bottle this so I can chill separately to my kegs to get them at the correct serving temp.

K

Looks great Kev - although you really need to get your grass cut. :tongue:

I've got a pilsner planned for later once the ambient temps drop a little bit more (probably next month). However to break my two month brewing absence I've got a hybrid Lager/IPA on the go at the moment so it will be interesting to see how it turns out (I'll start a brewday thread to show the recipe).

Wee update on this. Fermenting along nicely. Nice head on the wort and it looks very active.

Took about 36 hrs to get going but I expected that to be honest!

2 weeks to go then it'll be diacetyl rest then the lagering begins as per above schedule.

All being well, this might be ready for new year but as I'm bottling it then I'll probably have to wait until feb.

K

Another update. 3 weeks in and I'm at 1011 which is good. I raised the temp last Thursday to 18c for 48 hours.

Last night I started the chill. It's currently sat at 15c and I plan to drop it to 2c over the next week. Then I will transfer to a glass fermenter and lager at 2c for a month.

K

Currently at 12c. Plan to drop to 2c by the weekend. I'm doing a double brew on Sat so with the cold weather I might just stick the lager in the garage and fill my fridges with other brews.

Any problems doing this? Overnight temps are -1c and day temps are about 5-7c. That ok?

K

Latest posts

Back