AG - The Beastly Hop Monster of Surrey

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Fancy making something stupidly hoppy for the summer, if it ever arrives!

For 23l

Malt
5kg Marris Otter
1kg Vienna
.25kg Torrified wheat
.25kg Pale Crystal

Hops
50g Chinook as FWH

At 5 mins from switch-off
100g Apollo

At 0 mins
100g Columbus
50g Chinook

Dry hopping
100g Summit

What do you think? Too hoppy? Not hoppy enough?

That is certainly hoppy :)

What's your OG and IBUs? That 50g early addition might bring a lot of bitterness which could mask the later addition flavours?

Dont know :lol:

My IBU's would be in excess of 100 and OG should be around 1.060ish. I need to get some brewing software up and running.

You are perhaps perhaps right about the bittering addition, I may reconsider.

If you fancy being experimental and want big IBUs, you could try getting most (if not all) of your IBUs from a 10-minute addition rather than the traditional 60 minute addition... I think some of the US craft breweries do this for big IPAs...

I love it when people go for it in a big way like this. Let us know how it tastes in a few months, may the gods of ale allow you to sup this with friends on a fine summers evening!

pitch big , big starter or 2 packets of dried yeast otherwise you risk straining the yeast which will cause off flavours

sounds like you did , it's great when that happens , it puts your mind at rest knowing the yeast at the very least is alive and kicking .

Back