Aiming for something 6Xish

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Brewjubbly

Regular.
Reaction score
I am going to do a 2 gallon tester batch this weekend if I get the chance. Looking at something like this but would like any inputs:

3lbs 8oz Maris Otter
3.2oz chocolate malt
3.2oz dextrose
0.5oz Fuggles
0.2oz East Kent Goldings
1/2 tspn Irish Moss
Wyeast Thames Valley

Jeff

sorry i don't understand pounds and ounces but if you are aiming for around 6% i would say don't . Around 4.5% to 5.5% is where i would aim for , 6% sounds good but often taste too wine ish unless you use belgian type methods (candi sugar and yeast designed for high %) just my 2 pence worth ,

Never had that problem of tasting winish with my beers most of which are 7%+. As long as they are balanced they are fine.

Thanks guys!

When I put things into the calculator it comes out at 5.2% and i expect some inefficiency... but I will use the grains to up the ABV instead of the dextrose.

Jeff

pittsy said:
maybe just me then lol , i have got a funny palate though hence my love of wheat beers and such like :)

I think perhaps you palate has been clouded by the wheat beers. :lol: :lol:

I dodn't think Wadworth 6X has chocolate malt in it but it does have crystal malt.

I would replace the chocolate with crystal and maybe a very small amount of black malt for colour...

It is pale crystal and Black malt. :thumb:

However If I was doing it I would probably use a bit of chocolate instead of black. The black is probably only there for colour the choc would add a bit of flavour as well. Personally I always do my own take on a beer more an approximation than a clone. :thumb:

Jeff Brewjubbly said:
I am going to do a 2 gallon tester batch this weekend if I get the chance. Looking at something like this but would like any inputs:

3lbs 8oz Maris Otter
3.2oz chocolate malt
3.2oz dextrose
0.5oz Fuggles
0.2oz East Kent Goldings
1/2 tspn Irish Moss
Wyeast Thames Valley

Jeff

This is how it looks on Beer Engine
Fermentable Colour lb: oz Grams Ratio
Pale Malt 7 EBC 3 lbs. 8.0 oz 1590 grams 89.8%
Chocolate Malt 1050 EBC 0 lbs. 3.2 oz 90 grams 5.1%
Dextrose Monohydrate 0 EBC 0 lbs. 3.2 oz 90 grams 5.1%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time lb: oz grams Ratio
Fuggle Whole 3.3 % 90 mins 0 lbs. 0.5 oz 14 grams 70%
Golding Whole 5.7 % 90 mins 0 lbs. 0.2 oz 6 grams 30%

Final Volume: 9 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.012
Alcohol Content: 4.3% ABV
Total Liquor: 14.6 Litres
Mash Liquor: 4.2 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 23.0989915500545 EBU
Colour: 88 EBC

Looks about right to me ABV and bitterness are good. I would substitute the dextrose for Sainsbury's Fairtrade Light Brown Sugar. This will add an extra dimension to it.

Edit. I have just spotted the EBC 88!!! Use only half an ounce of chocolate this wil give you an EBC of 22

rpt said:
IPA said:
Bitterness: 23.0989915500545 EBU
Is that approximate?

LOL :)

You were all pretty much right about going super easy on the chocolate malt as I almost stouted the living daylights out of it !! It's still gently fermenting after 6 days but looks totally wrong. Live and learn :D

I will retry it in a few weeks... my next batch though will be 5 gallons and it will be a pale ale or a pilsner. My AG1 has just been finished (drunk by me and the misses) and it was delightful despite my mistakes.
Jeff

Back