Alcotec 48

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilkoca

Reaction score
Have just run a batch not quite sure what im going to do with it but i gather after 5 days i need to add activated charcoal to take any flavour out then add finnings.
Does anyone know how much charcoal i should add to 5 litres.

Oh and secondly any ideas what to do with gallons of the stuff - i really didnt think this one through :rofl: :whistle:

If you got the activated carbon bag with the kit then I'd guess you throw it all in. Does the carbon not have instructions on the pack?

Basically you can flavour with fruit juice/cordials or you can buy special packs of essences that simulate the flavour of spirits and liqueurs.

I got a Youngs version of this kit several years ago, complete with some kind of fruit cordial to flavour it. I still feel sick thinking about the taste. :sick: But the buckets and bits are useful so mustn't grumble.

i bought the yeast separately to the carbon - the bag is 1.7lts seems an awful lot to drop in - ?

I did a 20% spirit kit a few months back. One gallon came with a 600g pack of activated carbon. So that gives you an approx scale.

cheers - did you just add the charcoal or do you pass the liquid though it - i gather you just sling it in - is that before or after the finnings?

hang so for a 5 gallon batch im looking at 3kg of charcoal? thats seems a shed load - im begining to think i may just bin this - ive done a comprehensive google and just cant fing any reference to quantities.

Put what carbon you've got in the brew. Give it a good stir (no splashing) and leave a few days.

Too much is not going to hurt and too little will only result is a slight taste to the base alcohol. All its doing is removing some off flavours and impurities.

Bottle the purified alcohol then experiment with adding flavours at your leisure.

should i add the finnings first and leave for 24 of just wack the lot in?

If it's liquid carbon you are supposed to put it in at the same time as everything else ag the start. If you want to filter your liquor using carbon the way I do it us to put a coffee filter in a funnel, put the carbon in the filer after you have rinsed the dust off, then slowly pour the liquor into the coffee filter. I made a small hole in a lid to put the spout of the filter in.

I bought some of this stuff way back, i ended up bottling it and its been there ever since, best part of a year now i think. I wish I hadnt bothered it tastes rank

Latest posts

Back