Alewives.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PD

Landlord.
Reaction score
I found this article on the internet this morning, quite interesting...

Women and Brewing in the Middle Ages

In the Middle Ages, like today, women felt compelled to help support their family. Although numerous jobs were available to these women, they became occupied with the brewing of ale. Many factors made the art of brewing a worthwhile, and convenient occupation for the women of the day.

Ale was a staple food of the Middle Ages the water was usually very polluted, and therefore unhealthy. "Ale was the most popular drink of the middle ages; the average man's consumption has been figured at a gallon a day" . Because ale was considered to be a "healthy" drink, a large quantity was required by every household, large and small. Most of the ale was obtained from the local brewer, but as greater need arose, women of the age found ways to brew their own ale in the home. Brewing fit in with the other occupations of the housewife, such as cleaning and upkeep. These women, who became known as "brewsters" or "ale wives", already had the basic materials for brewing in their households. The basic materials for brewing included, but was not limited to, large pots, vats, ladles and straining cloths . Brewing, which required large amounts of waiting time between steps, gave the women time to tackle all their other chores in addition to brewing the ale . In addition to the many advantages of women brewing at home, this task also did not require much strength.

The actual process of brewing ale was a very tedious procedure. It entailed soaking barley for several days, then draining the water and germinating the barley. This was seen as the most difficult procedure in the process. After germination, the malt was dried and ground, hot water added, and the wort drained off to which herbs or yeast were added as a final touch . Due to the lack of preservatives of the era, the good ale soured within a few days.

During the thirteenth century, England's government proclaimed a sales regulation on ale. Officially this act was called the Assize of Bread and Ale, and controlled national standards of sizing and measurement as well as quality and pricing. Medieval women brewed ale in order to provide for their families, but also sold excess ale to neighbors for a profit . When the ale wife had ale to be sold, she would put a large pole with a bush attached outside in order to let the local ale taster, or "conner", as they were also called, know she had ale to be tested . More often than not, however, the women did not bother to put her pole out, and as such, sold uninspected ale. In doing this, they were in violation of the national assize, and the government enforced strict fines. "At Hales, the beer fines are perhaps still more frequent: I reckon roughly that a batch of culprits was presented at four courts out of five" . Although these fines were given by the government, the profit was high enough that ale women continued to sell their excess, uninspected ale. "Indeed the high proportion of women known to have sold ale suggests that all adult women were skilled at brewing ale, even if only some brewed for profit" . The medieval Assize of Bread and Ale was similar to the prohibition of the 1930's. Although the government deemed the sale of alcohol illegal, people still continued to sell the product at super inflated prices.

"The beer regulations also were, to some real extent, in the public interest, as tending to regulate price and quality". The government had the public's best interests in mind, as the quality of ale could vary from thin barley water to ale so thick, it looked "as if pigs had wrestled in it" . The regulations also entailed quality control over the amount of ale sold. Common sizes included the gallon, pottle, third and the quart ; however, it is not believed that the under-the-table ale wives worried much about weights and measures. The industry of brewing and selling ale meant only their livelihood and profit.

In addition to the actual brewing of ale, medieval women were connected to the industry in other ways. The position of ale taster was also open to women. This was a government appointed job which the woman, or man, as it were, had to be sworn into the position and worked under oath. The ale taster's job was to taste ale in order to make sure it was up to assize standards. Women were fined if they were neglectful of their job, or failed to hold up government standards.

On a slightly lighter note, a man by the name of John Skelton wrote a poem entitled "The Tunning of Elinour Rumming". This somewhat farcical tale relates the occupation of Elinour Rumming, a medieval woman brewer. More than anything, the reasons why she brewed and the conditions under which medieval brewing took place are described. "But to take up my tale, she breweth nappy ale, and maketh port-sale to travellers, to tinkers, to sweaters, to swinkers and all good ale drinkers". In this, we see that the main reason for Elinour's brewing habits was to provide herself with money. The actual character of Elinour is described as a flat chested, heavilly robed and silly looking lady. Her looks are nothing compared to the thoughtlessness she shows when brewing her ale. "And sometimes she blends the dung of her hens and the ale together, and sayeth 'gossip come hither, the ale shall be thicker;and flower the more quicker'"(Skelton 79). Apparently, it was common to have farm animals around while the brewing took place, and I am sure that hen droppings were not the only ones caught up in the boiling ale vats. Apparently, Elinour was under the impression that drinking her ale would make someone look and feel younger, "It shall make you look younger than ye be, years two or three, for ye may prove it by me. All in all the poem is a comical, yet perhaps realistic, look at the occupation of brewing in the middle ages.

The brewing industry in the Middle Ages was a very important one since it produced most of the healthy beverages during that time. Women had profound influences on the industry and its outcomes because the occupation nicely coincided with domestic chores.

Very interesting!! :geek:

I dont know if it's true but somewhere in the deep dark depths of my memory i am sure i heard the description of the original public houses being run by women.

Basically, the women would brew beer in the house, then raise a flag outside when it was ready to drink. People where then invited into the house to drink it.

supposidly that is where the Pub signs hanging above the doors started.

I suppose it would make sense for the women to brew- they would use their existing pots & pans and boil using the cooking fire.

I wonder if the chicken droppings were the original yeast nutrient ?

RD

Makes you wonder about re creating some of the old brews............... :shock: mouse and rat droppings in the grains to name a couple of additives.

Beer with that bit of EXTRA body..... :sick:

piddledribble said:
Makes you wonder about re creating some of the old brews............... :shock: mouse and rat droppings in the grains to name a couple of additives.

Beer with that bit of EXTRA body..... :sick:

whilst there were a few "adjuncts" in their brews that we wouldn't want to put in ours, something to remember is the whole thing is boiled and makes it sterile. Any accidental additive becomes inert.

Winnowing the grain before malting would get rid of most of the ratshi-. :grin:

Just to be a bit of a :geek: but...

boiling for 90 min will not steralise completly. At regular pressure you would have to boil water for 24 hours to ensure sterilty.

it takes pressure of +1 atmosphere and temp of 121C with steam for 15 min to ensure sterility

Boiling will reduce and kill off viable bacteria but anything that can produce spores usually can so they can survive this sort of boiling.

having said all that boiling is better than nothing!

Latest posts

Back