All Grain Brew#3 - Cally 80 - 24.10.08

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisG

Reaction score
This was a good one!

Started after work at around 6:30pm.

Wanted to try a Caledonia 80 clone....lets see how this turns out.

Boiled down a few runnings of the wort separately, just to see if it makes much of a difference.

Thing is.... the house was smelling like Edinburgh..... I work in Edinburgh and ever since I was young I always remembered the smell of the Caledonia Brewery and sometimes when the wind blows the right direction I can smell the sweet aroma and it takes me back to when I was 6 years old walking along Princes Street, so thats gotta be a good sign!!

So on with the show........

IMG_3556.JPG

IMG_3555.JPG

IMG_3558.JPG

IMG_3560.JPG

IMG_3564.JPG

IMG_3565.JPG

This was the first time I have tried fly sparging and I used a empty mushroom box for the hot tun liquor to run into. Drilled loads of holes and it seemed to work well. Also worked well when taking the first runnings and pouring them back into the mash. Simple but effective. Also saves a hell of a lot of time. Batch sparging seemed to take ages.

IMG_3568.JPG

IMG_3572.JPG

Last running from the mash tun, a lot lighter now.

IMG_3575.JPG

Hops in

IMG_3579.JPG

Now thats a better colour!!! With temperature correction it works out at around 1044.

IMG_3582.JPG

IMG_3584.JPG

Running into the fermenter

IMG_3588.JPG

Hmmmmm looks good!

IMG_3589.JPG

Just before I tipped the boiler to get a little more wort.

IMG_3594.JPG

5 gallons........thats not bad at all.

IMG_3595.JPG

Using Windsor yeast on this one as my HBS didn't have S04 which I usually use.

Night night, its 1:05am!!!

:=P

Nice brew.
Know whatyou mean when you refer to the smell of Edinburgh. I never twigged as to why Edinburgh smelled different to Glasgow. Edinburgh has a brewery ... In recognition that a city cant have everything Glasgow does have Ibrox park which it were a brewery probably would make the best beer in the world..... Or so my bluenose cousin John says

Great pics - looks like a good brewday. Like the use of the mushroom box as a sparge device. I might be doing something similar later :D

Looks very good, you're spot on about Edinburgh, Newcastle was the same until they closed the Fed brewery.

Fermented down to 1014 which works out to be around 4.2%, I'm happy with that.

Bottled this batch last night and got around 43 bottles. Tasted it and I have to say it was really good.

A lot darker than I thought it would be but an excellent coffee flavour. It cant really be classed as a heavy now and I would say its more of a dark ale/stout?

Will get pics sorted soon.

Frisp said:
Nice brew.
Know whatyou mean when you refer to the smell of Edinburgh. I never twigged as to why Edinburgh smelled different to Glasgow. Edinburgh has a brewery ... In recognition that a city cant have everything Glasgow does have Ibrox park which it were a brewery probably would make the best beer in the world..... Or so my bluenose cousin John says

You can catch a whiff of the Tennents brewery while you're driving on the M8 at a particular point... nowhere near as nice as Caledonian though...

Nice pics, looks tasty

Latest posts

Back