Allowing For Age Of Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only just read this thread. I guess you wont be buying them again?

Using older hops was discussed before in a thread. I think, the problem you would have had trying to work out how much AA% is left in the TnT hops, is that it's a blend. Different hops deminish a different rates and even if you knew which hops were in the blend it would have been a nightmare trying to work out the overall IBU's

You're right there - I probably won't be buying these again, but it would be interesting to have some from the latest harvest to see if there was a difference.

Is all this diminishing AA% and flavour loss, hear say, or just know so.

I regularly use year or two old hops and get great results. Has any body else done any experimental results other than the guy in the http://brulosophy.com/2015/09/28/the...iment-results/ link I posted earlier.

I absolutely grant you the storage conditions are paramount, vacuum packed in the freeΩer. If you want bitterness you can use any old hop and boil the bejesus out of it. Perhaps I have no problems because I prefer pale >40IBU ales and put all of my hops in a 5mns or to steep.

I never throw hops away. Out of shelf life Blahh!

Now if you were brewing commercially and needed consistency. Yup, you've got to know exactly what you've got.

For me its a regular magical mystery tour, flavour bomb after flavour bomb.

To be fair I should report back that this brew is definitely improving, and is now a balanced but hoppy pale ale.

Still disappointed by the amount of flavour/aroma from the huge late hop additions though.

I'm sampling this beer for the 1st time tonight - at least a week earlier than I'd have liked ideally - but the missus & kids are at the other end of the country for the week, visiting the outlaws and there's no other beer in the house! - what else am I gonna do??? :drink::whistle:

It's had 2 weeks in FV, 1 week in carboy with dry hops and 3 days in the kegerator carbonating. - still a bit hazy

Initial impressions are underwhelming especially considering the 200g (��£14 worth) of hops it had late/post boil. There is a mild fruity white wine sort of aroma, a bit like a very tame Nelson Sauvin, and the flavour is a bit 'green fruit' as per the website description of the hop. There is still a little harshness to the bitterness which I hope will mellow out after another week or so - if it lasts that long.

It could be the yeast getting in the way of them if they have less oils left in them because of their age. So when the yeast settles down that could improve it as you've been finding!

Back