American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Marconi
I really rate both of them. Very refreshing with big hop flavours. Some say the festival can be bitter but i think thats because the hops have been added to early as the instructions say to add on day 5. I prefer to add when the gravity is 1010 or lower and never had any problems. I have a festival in the fv at the moment.

Cheers Dicko
Followed your advice on the Festival AIPA and added the hops yesterday. Day 7 of the brew and SG1010. Can't wait to taste it, smelled fantastic.

Founders Double American IPA has to be my favorite, it's outstanding. I've done the Festival one, the Youngs one, the MYO from the range and the MJ one. If I had to put them in order, in my opinion, it would be 1. Founders Double American IPA, 2. Youngs American IPA, 3. Evil Dog Double American IPA, 4. Razorback, 5. MYO from the range, 6. The MJ one (Think this one went wrong though, as I had a very low FG and it has a bad aftertaste).

I've been using the MJ brewers series AIPA as a base in partial mash brews lately. Its £11, and a great kit on its own with dextrose, or malt extract. I just give it a good Citra dry hop 100Gs, and sometimes add a grapefruit tincture. The last two have been partial mash's with 3kg of marris otter, and no other fermentables added 23L sg 1055. Very, very nice. thumb.

Hi bizzo
I've never heard of this one is it a lme kit, no grain steeping or boiling of hops?

Cheers Dicko

Hi labrewski
I've been checking out the mangrove jacks range and there are a few to choose from. American ipa, juicy session ipa and the red grapefruit ipa. Which one did you do?

Cheers Dicko

Hi labrewski
I've been checking out the mangrove jacks range and there are a few to choose from. American ipa, juicy session ipa and the red grapefruit ipa. Which one did you do?

Cheers Dicko
I've brewed the Pink Grapefruit IPA - it's one of two of the best kits I've done. Friends and family concur. (The other is Young's American Mocha Porter)

I've brewed the Pink Grapefruit IPA - it's one of two of the best kits I've done. Friends and family concur. (The other is Young's American Mocha Porter)
Hi Scott.
It's the pink grapefruit ipa that appeals to me. Did you use brewing sugar, beer enhancer or the lme?

Cheers Dicko

Hi bizzo
I've never heard of this one is it a lme kit, no grain steeping or boiling of hops?

Cheers Dicko
It's just a beer kit, so no grain steeping or boiling of hops, it came with 6kg of liquid malt, 40g yeast, 180g hops, as well as the priming sugar. Founders Double American IPA by Beerworks. Just a word of warning, mine went off like a rocket and took the lid off the fermenting bucket! It's also very drinkable and very strong, mine turned out at over 8%

It's just a beer kit, so no grain steeping or boiling of hops, it came with 6kg of liquid malt, 40g yeast, 180g hops, as well as the priming sugar. Founders Double American IPA by Beerworks. Just a word of warning, mine went off like a rocket and took the lid off the fermenting bucket! It's also very drinkable and very strong, mine turned out at over 8%
I read up on it last night and it gets good reviews but at 8-8.5% it's a bit strong for me. Fortunately I have a couple of work colleagues who are well up for it and have already placed their order so I'll get a chance to have a taste.

Cheers Dicko

Hi bizzo
With this kit having such a high alcohol content how long did it take to condition?

Cheers Dicko

Transferred my AIPA to PB this morning. What a fantastic aroma - pineapple, mango & peach. It's too bitter to pretend to be a neipa but an outstanding result from a £14 kit and an extra sachet of Citra. 10/10 to the Range for this one. It's sat in my ferm fridge conditioning at 20C along with a PB of Fullers ESB clone. Can't wait :)

Hi folks, I also have the MJ brewers series APA (plus the MJ LME) and was going to brew at the weekend. Haven’t done this one before. I also have some left over hops to hand (citra, mosaic, cascade and Amarillo) about 50+g of each.
For those who have done this already, should I try to pimp this kit a little or just leave it alone?
Also, was thinking of adding a little bit of wheat DME (like 200g) for extra head retention - good idea or bad?

Latest posts

Back