An Gof 1497 London Stout.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amidared

Reaction score
I did this yesterday on the spur of the moment, originally I was planning on doing a Stout based on the Whitbread SSS but as I say spur of the moment brew and I managed on what I had available here. I couldn't find liquorice root or fat free cocoa on BS so I just added it to the notes. First attempt at a Stout, 1.092 start which was close to what I was aiming at, just fingers crossed now, never done anything with so many ingredients before so lets hope it wasn;t a case of overkill. Have to admit though, it went like clockwork, no stress and the most enjoyable brew day I've ever had. It'll be getting kegged and pushed with nitro.

London Stout
Partial Mash
Batch Size: 20.00 l
Boil Size: 9.82 l
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 8.99 l
Final Bottling Vol: 20.05 l
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
Date: 26 Mar 2016
Brewer: Amidared
Equipment: Pot ( 3 Gal/11.4 L) - Extract
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

Also used 50g Liquorice root and 200g fat free cocoa but can't find it on BS

Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 13.8 %
0.80 kg Black Barley (Stout) (985.0 EBC) Grain 2 11.0 %
0.50 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 6.9 %
0.50 kg Carafa I (663.9 EBC) Grain 4 6.9 %
0.50 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 5 6.9 %
0.50 kg Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 6 6.9 %
30.00 g Pioneer [9.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 23.0 IBUs
55.00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 14.4 IBUs
25.00 g Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 11.9 IBUs
0.45 kg Treacle [Boil for 10 min](197.0 EBC) Extract 10 6.2 %
2.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml] Yeast 11 -
3.00 kg Dark Liquid Extract (34.5 EBC) Extract 12 41.4 %

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.091 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.030 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.1 %
Bitterness: 54.8 IBUs
Est Color: 170.8 EBC Measured Original Gravity: 1.092 SG

Created with BeerSmith

Talk about Vesuvius, just as well I put the blow off tube on from the start, thats some yeast, mind you its got plenty to feed on.

Blimey...do you work in the Nuclear Power Industry??
Thats some list...!!
Bet it turns out LUSH tho.

Blimey...do you work in the Nuclear Power Industry??
Thats some list...!!
Bet it turns out LUSH tho.

I have to admit I did discuss with a mate as I was prepping it whether or not to include both the carafa AND the chocolate, didn't really need both and a bit less of one of them would have sufficed but by the time I'd decided that, it was too late. I hope it does turn out lush and not slush though, looking and sounding good so far. :smile:

I thought I'd update this to post the image and the final gravity. It started with 1092 and ended at 1020. At one point I was really going to throw it away because it tasted like a really heavy concentrate and I wanted the Corny but a mate advised against and said give it time. So I left it until now and the difference is incredible, in fact I think I might leave it for another month or so right now its really drinkable. Very thick though and the treacle comes through maybe a tad too much but ok. I almost lost hope on this one but it actually makes me feel good about it. Not so strong next time though.

An Gof Stout.jpg

Looks a nice pint :thumb:but-
phewwwwww eeeeeeeeeee a tad strong for me personally at around 9.45%, you won't need too many of those:lol:

Looks a nice pint :thumb:but-
phewwwwww eeeeeeeeeee a tad strong for me personally at around 9.45%, you won't need too many of those:lol:

Cheers Chub. It is on the strong side thats for sure, you can notice the strength after just a few swigs so its no session beer, having said that my neighbour loves it. First stout I've done so I know in future to go easy on the ferments.

Back