Andy's all grain adventures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andymoz-70

Reaction score
Well thought i would join in as a great way of learning off more experienced brewers, And also great to keep a record (As cant read my own writing lol šŸ˜†)

As the title states going all grain from now on as think i will enjoy the experience of stepping up from the canned kits. Not using the latest and greatest machinery, Just a simple 17L stainless pan 20210210_161452.jpg
(Ā£20 off Facebook Marketplace) Thermometer, and grain bag for pan. Happen to test run with tap water the full 17L on my hob and struggled to boil. Certainly wouldn't do a rolling boil. But that's fine as only intend to do around 10L batches anyway. So
Started off with a Belgium blonde beer (This was actually a 8L recipe i stole off the internet ) Had to split a 23L kit was missold. Heated up 8L of strike water to around 75oc then added the Grain to the bag (Stirring like a good en to avoid lumps) bringing it down to 63oc
1kg Chateau pils mashed for 55 mins. Must admit the big pans a cracker at holding temperature. Only had to flick gas on for a short time in between the 55 mins.
Then sparged in another pan. Just ran the hot kettle through the bag (After squeezing out wort in mega pan )approx around a litre. Left for around 20 mins Bit under pressure guesswork here as Mrs was watching me to see if i was cleaning upšŸ¤£
Then got a nice rolling boil with the wort for 90 mins
Saaz 12g @75mins
Hallertau Hersbrucker 6g @5mins
I built my own wort cooler out of 10mm microbore but didnt end up using it for this batch as didn't have the right connector for our kitchen tap!20210210_161410.jpg
So put the pan outside in the snow and hoped to cool that way. But that pans a bugger. Didn't cool it all that much after about 40 mins, So decided to put in the 23L fv and pitch next day (Risky I know). Lifted the lid the next day and it smelt just tremendous. Pitched it with Safale 04. Can't wait to try this, I'm pretty patient when it comes to beer (Not much else) but beer yes!, So will let it mature. Trying to keep it around 18 but dropped to around 12 today while I was working so banged the heat pad on20210210_161238.jpg
Ended up with around 8L or so, So pretty good guesswork I'd say. Only had 1 slight boil over when i stuck lid on, And spilled a little grain here and there and kicked the dog up the Arsenal a couple of times, But must say LOVED every minute of making it. Hope it tastes as good as it smells šŸ˜Š.Have a go if you never have before. On another note thanks to the guys who recommended the home brew shop in farnborough for grains etc. Had a nice delivery off them
20210210_161555.jpg
So that should keep me going a while....Where's that big pan again???

A good-sized pan and downsized batches is a great way to start AG brewing, and is how I started as well! The smaller batches help you brew more often and get a few brews under your belt.

You will have to keep us posted on how it goes. Have you got any other details, such as Original and Final Gravity and such?

A good-sized pan and downsized batches is a great way to start AG brewing, and is how I started as well! The smaller batches help you brew more often and get a few brews under your belt.

You will have to keep us posted on how it goes. Have you got any other details, such as Original and Final Gravity and such?

Yes will keep you posted. It should come out about 6.5 percent that's all i know as lost the hydrometer somehow on brew day of all days!. Yes think the small batches will suit me better as can have plenty of different beers. Biggest problem i have is im running out of fermentation buckets šŸ¤£

Back