Another D Rest/lager question....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krispn

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello! A quick question!

I'm brewing my take on a Munich Helles and I've slowly raised the temp to 16c following initial fermentation at 12c (it's the top end of the recommended fermentation temp for this strain - Imperial Yeast's 'Harvest'.
I've noticed that the gravity has dropped a little since the temp ramp up which I kinda expected from 1.020-1.018 and I'm really just wondering out loud should I hold it at 16c until the fermentation appears to have stopped... I mean I think I already know the answer and that is to keep it here until it appears to have fermented out then reduce the temp slowly down to 4c for as long as I can hold off drinking it!

The sample is tasting bang on for what I was aiming for so I really don't wanna mess anything up. I'm alittle bit excited even as this is one of my favourite beers! :)

From a d-rest point of view the answer is... until you can't taste diacetyl but since I don't open my fermenter until kegging day I leave it to rest for 2 weeks for a total of at least 3 weeks in the fermenter. Even if it appears to have stopped I still ignore it for the full 2 weeks. Lagers need patience I'm afraid.

Hey @foxbat
That's what I was thinking and I didn't see the logic in lowering the temp again. My 'schedule' has it remaining at 16c until Monday when I'll test the gravity again. I'm not tasting any diacetyl off the sample (luckily my fermentor has a little 'sample spout' so the lid has remained closed). It should have fully fermented out by then and I can get to cooling it but you're right there's no point rushing it! I've bought a second keg which I hope to keep a version of this beer in all the time!

Latest posts

Back