Another request: Tomintoul Stag/Wildcat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairybiker

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anybody have a recipe for Tomintool (Cairngorm now) Stag or Wildcat (AG) please

Used to love drinking Wildcat when my local JDW had it in (back when I could afford to go to the pub :oops: )

I don't have the recipes but I used to drink them regularly. One of the best beers I had at the Scottish Real Ale Festival in June was Trade Winds

The Cairngorm website has some good hints on what is in them (especially the hops).

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers but I have no experience in formulating from hints

Hops are Challenger and Goldings other than that ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, never heard of these before. :oops:
I wonder if that's where the name of the bike rally at John o' groats got it's name 'wildcat rally'.
Suppose I should know cos I was cooking breakfast at the first one. :whistle:

I originate further down the spey valley and I have never tasted these beers. :eek:

Think I might order a couple of bottles :wha: , is it worth it?

I know this thread is from ancient days, but just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Stag? Husband has asked for a clone, so will try my best.

The website is good, explains the hops and contains both barley and wheat, so I have a general direction. Thinking some sort of Scottish heavy or bitter.

But just wondering if anyone here has some thoughts?
We are regulars to the Caringorm Brewery, so I might just ask too, 😂
Never realised it was called Tomintoul Brewery before!

I ordered the 'Real Ales for the Homebrewer' off Amazon on Friday night and I got it yesterday. It matches up really well with recipes I have in an old Graham Wheeler book from early 1990s. And it's fun to see how many breweries in the book are still around and not. Anyways, the recipe for Stag is pretty much bang on in line with what I had in my head for re-creation, so I'm really glad my recipe development is starting to get better! I will also have a happy husband as real ale styles are his favourite for drinking.

matches up really well with recipes I have in an old Graham Wheeler book from early 1990s
Yes, that didn't escape the notice of Mr Wheeler when he was still with us, so don't be surprised if he returns to haunt your mash tun 🤣

Seriously, let us know how it works out, as I fancy giving it a go.

.... It matches up really well with recipes I have in an old Graham Wheeler book from early 1990s.
Some recipes in his British Real Ale 2nd edition, 2009, are slightly different from same beers in the first ed. But still a great book.
eg. Hook Norton - Old Hookey, was for ABV 5.4%, is now for 4.5%. 10min hops was Goldings, now Fuggle. There's now a 3rd edition, but I've not looked there.

There are recipes in Marc Ollosson's "Real Ales for the Home Brewer", for both Wildcat and Stag.
Cairngorm Stag, (draught) is always my favourite ale at the Inverness 'Under Canvas' festival.
Glad to find there's a recipe for Stag, so have ordered Olosson's book.

Shame link to buy the pdf version, doesn't work any more. Apparently because the book rights are now with a new publisher.
PDFs take up less room, on my shelves / under my bed, than paper copies.

RealAles_Ollossen.jpg

PSX_20240326_114143.jpg
PSX_20240326_114729.jpg

Real Ales for the Home Brewer. Marc Ollossen 2nd Ed. 2014

Majority of book is taken up with the recipes
The first 79 recipes, are based on info supplied by the breweries. The final 51, he describes as his own equivalents of commercial beers, but the commercial beer's name cant be given.

Recipes list quantities for a 23L batch, and alternative malt extract quantity. Its a shame colour EBC isnt given.

Recipies give the mash liquor quantity, based on 2.5 litres per kg grist.
I'd likely use more water than that listed, when using my AIO.

Attachments

• RealAles_Ollossen.jpg
    RealAles_Ollossen.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
  • RealAles_index1.jpg
    RealAles_index1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
  • RealAles_index2.jpg
    RealAles_index2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
...and there are no suggestions for yeast as when the recipes were written homebrewers all used the same one (the only one on the market, pretty much).

All told, the recipes make for a good pint though and make a sound starting point for whichever beer you're trying to clone.

Latest posts

Back