any ideas for tropical ingredient beers?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveh2112

Reaction score
i live Thailand and i pick up DME and LME as well as hops, yeast etc. on my occasional visits to the US and UK.

but DME and LME are heavy and i worry about falling foul of customs at the airport sometimes.

so i'm thinking just for fun, try replace the fermentables with something available locally. rice is the obvious choice, but any ideas out there from other people living in topical locals?

thanks

very interesting, it's certainly is very important to plan your beer for the coming apocalypse.

the sweet potato idea looks very interesting, i'll look into that some more

I too liked the look of the sweet potato idea as they are fairly cheap in the UK and it's best to be prepared in case the malted barley runs out! :lol: :lol:

Would we have sweet potato in a post-apocalypse Britain? I'm worried now, the only likely product I can see through my windows right now are sheep and rabbit droppings.

Would we have sweet potato in a post-apocalypse Britain? I'm worried now, the only likely product I can see through my windows right now are sheep and rabbit droppings.

You'll be okay then. :thumb: :thumb:

I used to make a brew from sheep droppings and my greenhouse tomatoes loved it. :smile: :smile:

On a more serious note, when does a beer become a wine; and vice versa. e.g. When does "Oak Leaf Beer" become "Oak Leaf Wine"?

Anybody know? :cheers:

funny, i was wondering exactly the same thing myself. if i had to guess, i'd say its the addition of hops.

My first guess too, but Barley Wine has hops in it ... :lol: :lol:

... and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that someone on the Forum has made a Hop Wine! :whistle: :whistle:

Like most things to do with ancient activities I deeply suspect that the single definitive answer has been lost in the mists of time! :thumb: :thumb:

does anyone have a rice beer recipe? i googled and all i can find is recipes for sake kind of drinks, but i'm pretty sure you can make regular lager style beers from rice. here in Thailand we have Chang and Leo, both I think are 100% rice based and taste pretty much the same as Singha which is malted barley based I think.

any help appreciated. i want to experiment with trying to make more of an IPA from rice.

here's a fact free but quite funny introduction to Thai beer
https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/TEFLInternational/TeacherTim85.htm

There's this one for Tibetan Chang.

http://www.yowangdu.com/tibetan-food/chang.html

In Sierra Leone I once drank something that the locals called "beer" out of a jam-jar dipped into a 45 gallon oil-drum.

I was already drunk when I got to the village so it tasted fine ...

... but it came with a monumental headache the next day! :whistle:

The Chang looks very similar! Enjoy! :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back