Anybody use soda chargers in a keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think they are like the 8gram type I use on two of my pressure barrels the old boots 5 gallon type and they have the pin type connector for the gas yes they are pretty good you need to make sure you have a good seal of course as they won't last long if the are bleeding :thumb:

radioactive said:
think they are like the 8gram type I use on two of my pressure barrels the old boots 5 gallon type and they have the pin type connector for the gas yes they are pretty good you need to make sure you have a good seal of course as they won't last long if the are bleeding :thumb:

+1 (especially the bleeding bit, lost many a canister to that bugger)

OK thanks guys... I guess these things are all similar really but walk past a wilkos every day. Budgets are limited due to impending second born so not sure whether to go down the bottle only route for now to save from the costs of CO2? How long would a pack of 10 normally last? (Also thinking about buying some kind of pot so I can start messing with some extract brewing :hmm: )

The Soda ones do have a taste, where as you can get the same item for the cream bottles that have no taste .

thomascrabs said:
How long would a pack of 10 normally last?

All depends if you managed to keep all the CO2 in the barrel from secondary fermentation. I've had barrels where there's been a leak in the top, so I manage a pint before I've got to resort to a CO2 canister... in those instances, it could be 5 or 6 or more per barrel... but saying that, I've been lucky recently, I've not had to use a canister on my last two barrels, there was enough CO2 from the yeasties to force all the beer out.

I have a 40 pint barrel which I filled with approx 28 pints, currently there is about 10 pints left in it and I haven't had to use one yet.

The last batch though I used 4 of them (2 didn't go in easy and all leaked out the top - they are very tempremental :hmm: )

Latest posts

Back