Anyone using a King Keg 30L Chubby

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Questions for y'all
Im looking at buying a 30L Chubby to use as a fermenter ( both under pressure and just to bubble off in a jar at atmosphere) and possibly use it as a dispensing keg (until I save up for a Corny collection) .

If you have one how does it work for you?
Any big downsides?, id imagine cleaning will be a nause due to the narrow neck
alternativley
Any big upsides?

Hi. How's the chubby going?
its going ok.. it does the job well enough

IMHO it has three small downsides
1) tiny narrow neck, cant get my hand in to clean it so im relying on sloshing chemclean around in it..

2) the tiny cap for the narrow neck means the pressure valve and the posts are very close together. i have found when transfering to the keg the pressure valve ring can get in the way of disconnects and the disconnects can cause accidental pressure release.

3) the carry handle doesnt feel secure and it digs into your hands when moving 25L round.

Other than these three small niggles I do like the fermenter, it stands on its own footprint, no wire stand to deal . I also like that I can see whats happening inside the fermenter.

I have two normally use for pressure fermenting and occasional (If I cant be bothered to keg) The Good points well should can push the temperature (I would always expect to follow the max temp of the yeast I'm using) I invested in a larder fridge and inkbird to give temperature control so fermentation is quick 7 to 10 days cold crash then and package. the only downside I can think of is the neck is very narrow so getting your hands in there to scrub isn't possible I normally fill it with a Chemsan solution and leave it 12 hours and agitate every now and again to dislodge Krausen crust mainly after that on to a bucket blaster for 20 mins during the last 20 minutes of the brew with no rinse sanitiser getting into it.

I have two normally use for pressure fermenting and occasional (If I cant be bothered to keg) The Good points well should can push the temperature (I would always expect to follow the max temp of the yeast I'm using) I invested in a larder fridge and inkbird to give temperature control so fermentation is quick 7 to 10 days cold crash then and package. the only downside I can think of is the neck is very narrow so getting your hands in there to scrub isn't possible I normally fill it with a Chemsan solution and leave it 12 hours and agitate every now and again to dislodge Krausen crust mainly after that on to a bucket blaster for 20 mins during the last 20 minutes of the brew with no rinse sanitiser getting into it.
Thats pretty much where im at with it..,

I pressure ferment all the time having two 30 Litre Chubbys and three 20 Litre Juniors if you have any questions please ask most yeasts can be pushed under pressure of just 2psi to a higher fermentation temperature whilst pressure fermenting. My yeast of the Moment is Lallemand Nottingham I ferment that at 22 all the time.

I pressure ferment all the time having two 30 Litre Chubbys and three 20 Litre Juniors if you have any questions please ask most yeasts can be pushed under pressure of just 2psi to a higher fermentation temperature whilst pressure fermenting. My yeast of the Moment is Lallemand Nottingham I ferment that at 22 all the time.
I take it that its ales that you do at 2psi ? im suprise that such low pressure allows for 22C ?

depends on what style I am brewing want really most ales at 10 psi and lagers at 15 psi, I was fermenting a beer a while back where I wanted some yeast esters 2psi allows that. I'm quite attuned now to the different pressures I learned most of this on a Fermentasaurus a couple of years back. The Pressure also helps keep the krausen down as well.

depends on what style I am brewing want really most ales at 10 psi and lagers at 15 psi, I was fermenting a beer a while back where I wanted some yeast esters 2psi allows that. I'm quite attuned now to the different pressures I learned most of this on a Fermentasaurus a couple of years back. The Pressure also helps keep the krausen down as well.
useful info.

No problem Fella keep asking any questions always happy to help a fellow brewer
I have a yorkshire bitter kit in the chubby at the mo.
started at 20C 1.034 with S-04 for two days on a bubbler and it dropped ( on ispindle) rapidly to 1.008, i then put it under 12psi and upped temp to 23C for a couple of days and itt dropped down to 1.006. i have slowly reduced the temp backdown to 18c keeping it at 12psi. its still at 1.006
leaving it there to keg it into the 20L junior next week
be interesting to see how it comes out..

this whole pressure fermenting is a whoile new ballgame for me

Nowt wrong with a Yorkshire Bitter I’m brewing the one from Greg Hughes Book with F40 yeast from Brewlabs and the correct water additions for a bitter beer. Gotta to better than a John Smiths after all

Im slowly re- accumulating AG kit, I seriously regret selling my Stainless 50L 3 pot setup in 2012. But while I collect gear Im doing the odd kit to fettle my fermentation, and kegging side.
Im waiting for my water report back from Murphy & son before I try a sneaky wee partial mash.

Back