anyone else tapping the birch trees?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie hitler

Reaction score

been out setting taps in the local silver birch trees, you get sone realy strange looks ' why is that mad bloke tapeing a plastic bottle to a tree? :shock: '

the sap is riseing very early this year

cheers EH

good heads up. We even have daffodills out today !! :shock: in NOTTINGHAM!! :shock: :shock:

Not going to bother this year.

Last year I don't think I was careful enough when tapping the tree and may have introduced a mould or something when collecting. I kept skimming off the growth but it kept coming back even though I'd used a CT 24 hours before starting the ferment :(

been out setting taps in the local silver birch trees, you get sone realy strange looks ' why is that mad bloke tapeing a plastic bottle to a tree? '

the sap is riseing very early this year

cheers EH

Sorry I'm a complete noob but what an earth to do make with birch tree sap? :lol: :rofl:

Sean_Mc said:
Wine Lewis, usually flavoured with lemon

Sounds like what inspector Morse would say when asked what Stella tastes like..... ;)

my brother made some last year, I didn't think the sap would be rising this early though! I'll give him a heads up.

I was a bit confused about what I read on line about tapping for birch sap though.

some sites just said drill a hole, and some were very specific about how deep to go.
obviously it's only the very outer layer of the tree that has any sap in it, as the centre of the tree is dead wood, but some places suggested that only the very outer layer had sweet sap rising to the leaves, and that if you go too deep then you get mostly just water (with no sugars, etc).

we found that we struggled to get a good seal around the tubing stuck in the hole, so the juice was dribbling down the tree trunk. maybe we should use a tap that then drips into a container

Latest posts

Back