Anyone installed an "INLINE SCALE REDUCER INHIBITOR"??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnsleyBrewer

Reaction score
Thinking about installing one but wondering that they're just a gimmick that doesn't work. :hmm: :hmm:

$(KGrHqIOKpUE4jlj+J4LBOPYIdmvs!~~1_35.JPG

BB :drink:

Do you have really hard water? Never used one as we have very soft water. But they don't remove the hardness, just stop it sticking to your pipes.

rather than permanently install one of those have a look at the Ecoflow H2Flow unit.

It straps on the pipe rather than cutting it so no risk of leaks and you can take it if you move. I was a seller for them years ago (i'm not now) and we sold lots, i still have one now and it works well, the shower head rarely needs cleaning and the kettle is clean.

It also cleans the lime scale out so you get lots coming out for a while then once its clear it stays clear.

and its probably cheaper. I have very hard water too

My parents' water used to come out of their taps looking like full cream milk. They installed one of those things and now it looks like skimmed milk.

All these devices are a complete and utter fraud. Magnetic water conditioners are a fad device that comes along every 30 years or so and they have never been proven to actually soften water. I browsed through websites of people selling these things and the only scientific evidence that was offered was pretty scanty. As a former environmental scientist I can tell you that to 'simply change the size of the water molecule' is not simple, it's impossible. Furthermore, a magnetic field will have little if any effect on water molecules, which have a virtually nonexistent magnetic moment. Other claims I've read about them are that they 'change the ionic charge' or 'alter the ionic activity of water'. This is also malarky. I know British Gas sell these things and constantly nag me to buy one, but the company and their staff get a big commision for doing so. Avoid. It's a waste of money. I might add that so far no recognised water authority seems to have given them their approval.

bobsbeer said:
Do you have really hard water? Never used one as we have very soft water. But they don't remove the hardness, just stop it sticking to your pipes.
I'm installing a new shower connected to our combi and was worried that limescale could invalidate the 10 year warranty on parts..

BB

My father's water is so hard that it would kill his immersion heater element every 18 months to 2 years. One day the plumber suggested he fit one of these scale reducers and fitted a "Salamander" one. That was 12 years ago and the same element is still going strong.

Coincidence?

Here's a good page to look at so that you can make your own mind up as to whether they work or not: http://www.chem1.com/CQ/magscams.html#KEISTER. One quote from this web site is worth repeating: "Although magnetic water treatment (MWT) appears to be effective in some cases, the parameters of water composition, magnetic field strength, treatment geometry and flow rate that lead to satisfactory performance have never been clearly defined. Closer study often reveals that other factors (such as pH change) could account for the improvements that might otherwise be attributed to MWT".

chastuck said:
Furthermore, a magnetic field will have little if any effect on water molecules, which have a virtually nonexistent magnetic moment.

Water molecules? I thought they were supposed to act on the calcium ions?

i'm not getting to that argument

I know the magnet device i have works, i had the kettle 8 years and we have 2, 10.5kilowatt showers and they dont fur up.

My neighbour needs a new kettle every 2 years and forever descaling the shower. I'm not!

It's all a bit like faith healers or holistic medicine really. Some people will always believe in it.

chastuck said:
It's all a bit like faith healers or holistic medicine really. Some people will always believe in it.

Or the ridiculous things that you strap to your fuel pipe to make your car run better. Or those bomb detector things that chap sold to the Iraqis......

jonewer said:
chastuck said:

Or the ridiculous things that you strap to your fuel pipe to make your car run better. Or those bomb detector things that chap sold to the Iraqis......

Yep Yep Yep

I have one strapped to my audi 2.8 v6. it averages 32.3 mpg with it and 28.7 without it and also tested with and without by my garages diagnostic tests which showed that ionised fuel burnt more effectively than non ionised fuel

But whatever you say mate must be true. Just because you cant understand it dosnt make it "ridiculous" I dont suppose you go to the beach incase you fall off the edge of the flat earth either!

My Dad must have "willed" his immersion element clean then and it had nothing to do with the scale reducer!

Wezzel said:
My Dad must have "willed" his immersion element clean then and it had nothing to do with the scale reducer!
Probably not. You are going to get subtle changes both in manufacturing and water over time which could benefit an individual. One person's immersion heater will be slightly different to another's, equally the water tank composition and physical set up, including pipework, could have slight variations to another location. Water use between one person and another will also differ. Unless you have documented evidence and comparison of an exact like-to-like situation over several years, I remain sceptical that the magnetic descaler has any benefit at all in a domestic situation. And I make the point again, that no UK water authority will recommend them.

Put it this way - my Father has lived in the same house for 63 years. For all of this time his hot water has been supplied solely by immersion heater (no gas boiler or central heating).

I am now in my 50's and I lost count many years ago of the number of elements that I watched him change and then later did them for him. He used to buy them 2 at a time and there was always a spare element and a spanner kept in the airing cupboard ready for the next change. They would generally last 18 - 24 months before going bang and it would be necessary to get a long scraper and pull as much of the loose scale as possible through the hole before screwing in the replacement.

The scale reducer was fitted at the same time as the last element and that was at least 12 years ago. It would be a bit of a coincidence if the water composition changed radically at that exact moment in time.

Or am I deluding myself?

Back