Wasted Hops Target

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthwormgaz

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi forum,

Just wondering if anyone's seen any packets of vac pack hops smaller than 100g? I always end up with loads left over. Just used 25/100g of Target hops for a stout. This seems to happen a lot for 5 gallon brews. I clip the packet shut and put them in the freezer, but always think it'd be better to be buying fresh.

Does anyone know if target hops are good for any other styles than stout to help me use them next time? They're the bittering hop in this one.

CML do packs to suit your recipe size also I have used Target hops many times for aroma and flavour in bitters and ales

You could keep all your part packs and do a "user upper".
I think if they're used just for bittering you can use them in other recipes like bitter.
Also research if your particular hop is good for late addition.

Dark Rock has become my supplier of choice (since my LHBS shut) & they supply in multiples of 10g (up to 100g) though if you order less than about 50g they do work out a bit more expensive.

Hi forum,

Just wondering if anyone's seen any packets of vac pack hops smaller than 100g? I always end up with loads left over. Just used 25/100g of Target hops for a stout. This seems to happen a lot for 5 gallon brews. I clip the packet shut and put them in the freezer, but always think it'd be better to be buying fresh.

Does anyone know if target hops are good for any other styles than stout to help me use them next time? They're the bittering hop in this one.

The malt miller does a recipe generator where you can buy the exact amount you need, down to the gram.

I try to plan my brews so that I use open hops in subsequent brews.

Target is a bit of an odd one as it's not great as a late hop, and even as a bittering hop has a distinctive harshness that doesn't suit some brews. Wye Valley HPA uses Target as a bittering hop if you wanted to do that Wye Valley Hereford Pale Ale (HPA) Clone Recipe

But they'll be fine in the freezer, many of us leave them in there between brews.

It's worth remembering that hops are only harvested once a year, so you're not buying fresh, you are buying hops that others are storing. If smaller quantities are more expensive per gram, then you are paying for that storage.

Last edited:
I was just looking at this the other day as MM prices per 100g are pushing up the price per brew so I've been thinking about buying larger quantities and storing them.

Common sense says fresh is best, however that isn't necessarily true as Yakima say their vacuum sealed hops have a 5 year lifetime and that we should be buying based on the vintage with some years have much better sensory profiles that others.

Once you've opened a bag of T90's you actually have about 6 months to use them presuming you roll them up tightly remove as much air as possible before resealing them and storing below 5c.

If you need longer than that they suggest flushing with some CO2 and vacuum sealing in a Mylar bag to give you at least 1 yr of lifetime. You can get cheap Vacuum sealers for 24quid on Amazon.

How to Store Hops: Tips and Tricks from Yakima Valley Hops

Last edited:
I've used Brewday for buying T90 hops, have bought a few by the 1kg and break down, vac pack and store in the freezer. Never had problems. Definitely the way to buy hops, my average spend is £3.82 100g. That includes a good mix from Galaxy and Mosaic to Strata and Azacca👍🏻

Latest posts

Back