Anyone used Topaz before?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found that Galaxy was slightly astringent when I used it as a single hop. I believe it came about when dry hopping as I couldn't detect it pre-fermentation, though it could have been masked.

I'd have a little search on Google, as I wish I had before I'd used it. It has a lovely, lovely flavour to it, but just needs to be used correctly.

Yes I'd heard that about galaxy as well and topaz seems to have some similar feedback about dry hopping. Might be talking nonsense but perhaps it's something to do with them both having very high AA values?

It came out much more than that when i did it - same website! I think I chose recorded postage though.

It came out much more than that when i did it - same website! I think I chose recorded postage though.
Yeah i njust got a email to say they would send tracking details anyway? dont worry theres 100g yours for all your help over the last year its the least i could do, you have been a good mate:thumb:

I wanted it tracking cos I was worried it would end up in the North east or somewhere. :-)

I've decided to keep digging. :thumb:

Have you really ordered some?

Yeah came to 51.61 dollars its 22.50 sterling i didnt choose the tracked option but i have had a email to say once dispatched they will send the tracking details

So I picked up some Aussie hops (topaz and Pride of Ringwood) that were on offer from HBC and would like to have a go at an Australian hopped pale ale. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for this variety? I have seen a few things online about it not being great for dry hopping....

I am thinking of doing a version of this recipe but subbing in Topaz for the Galaxy and using PoR for bittering hops.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/3684/galaxy-pond-pale-ale
I've used topaz combined with admiral in my Blue Admiral (and an earlier kit tweak which lead me there). I'm not particularly experienced at describing hops (yet) but they give a nice 'deep' fruity flavour.

If I made it again I would dry hop to give some hoppy aromas too [emoji1]

I have used Topaz, unfortunately I think mine were past their best and the beer was over carbonated, so it didn't work out too well!
Adnams Topaz Gold is a cracking pint though and an example of how it should be used.

I have used Topaz, unfortunately I think mine were past their best and the beer was over carbonated, so it didn't work out too well!
Adnams Topaz Gold is a cracking pint though and an example of how it should be used.

Haven't tried that one but the description sounds great, apricots and lychees! :grin:

I added a small amount to my order today. Did the geterbrewed custom thing and just ordered various grains and hops. And a bench capper for £18 and an Erlenmeyer flask for starters. Good value on there.

Latest posts

Back