Apple juice and overactive fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rasp_Brewer

Reaction score
So far every time I’ve used apple juice in a brew it has came through the airlock even though I’ve left sufficient head space is it possible there is a correlation between apple juice and overactive fermentation?

You may be overfilling at start don't fill any higher than the level in the picture below i have never had an apple wine leave the DJ at this level.

1638624206032.png

I fill it up just to the beginning of the shoulders of the demijohn at the point where it starts to curve haven’t had an issue so far with this level of headspace but it seems that everytime apple juice is involved it blows through into the airlock I’ll try to fashion a blow off tube for future brews in case this happens again just thought it was a coincidence that it kept happening to my brews that have apple in them

I always found orange juice a bit volatile but never really had a problem with apple.
How much juice are you using in a DJ?
How much sugar are you adding?
What temperature are you fermenting at?

roughly 20 degrees in my house the room in which my brews are kept has the radiator turned off and windows shut there isn’t much change in temperature at all I think I added around 600g of sugar to my autumn apple wine which was at 1.080 SG and 500g of sugar to my grape and apple wine which was at 1.086 SG and in total around 4 litres of juice in both of them. Both erupted through the airlock between the second and third day then stopped.

Both erupted through the airlock between the second and third day then stopped.

I haven't a clue why that has happened as i said i have never had a problem and its not something reported here often, its usually overfilling that causes it but you have already said you don't do that, looks like a blow off tube will be the best option.

Latest posts

Back