Aquarium Heaters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkar

Reaction score
Hi i purchased an aquarium heater from the far east a while back and am only gettin around to using it now . i brew in the shed and in the west of ireland (we dont get a summer!) . I used it for 2 brews just past and ended up taking it out , I put a atc temperature sensor in the fv as well just to track the temperature . I set the aquarium heater at 18 degrees , after a couple of days , i seen it was operating at 13-14 degrees per the atc . I am a bit perplexed ! :wha:
I like to think my atc sensor was right as i use it to regulate my mash temp anyway the beer turned out great either way in both ( blond ales ) , but i am just wondering has anyone else experienced these variants and what did they do? it was a `100 watt one so i presume it would be large enough to heat 20 -30 litres of beer
Regards
Barry

bit late replying to this one but as I recall the temp dials aren't always perfect on the heater, you may have to put it up a couple of notches to get the right temp in the FV. as long as your thermometer is working properly trust that as your guide..

Yep same here - i had mine set at 22c on the heater but thermometer was showing 19c - trial and error usualy works -brews been ok using one so far. Don't need it at the mo' as its summer here now but i used it last winter and it worked at treat, mine a 100 watt job too.

I did the same as you but placed my fermenting bin in a bowl of about 4 inches of water into which i placed the 25w heater and further away the thermometer probe, the heater kept switching itself on/off but warmed water ok when adjusted. check thermometer accuracy by placing it in a glass of iced water it should read zero degrees C ( beware my thermometer only goes up to 70 so do not place in boiling water). my lager bubbled away nicely.

Latest posts

Back