Are people

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found it confusing when I am directed to avoid the red lane on the left and the keep left bollard on the right, when my vehicle is wider than the road allows. I'm going to disobey something to get through, and to be honest at that point I am more concerned with the road junction up ahead, so if there was a cyclist on my left at this point, I may hit him to avoid hitting a bollard.

What colour is the lane in the photo of London in this thread? I can't see any colour for that one. I thought cars had to give way to cyclists anyway colour or no colour. I will check what colour the one is I talked about. Pretty sure it was red though.
These didn't exist when I took my test. :smile:

The council has just finished a new cycle lane into Aberdeen, that is up to 12ft wide, in addition to the footpath next to it. They had problems with the bus stops because they are now in the cycle lane. :-? So there are lines marking end of cycle lane etc before you hit a bus stop. I suppose they would have to get off and walk around it each time. If cyclists still ride on the road, can I drive in the cycle lane because it's wider than the road now?
And the age old question..... What's wrong with riding a bike on the footpath? There are even signs that allow this in some places - so why not more often?
shared-sign1.jpg

The cycle lanes in london are either green or blue (cycle superhighways)

At the end of the day cycling in London takes particular skills. I see cyclists in loads of high viz but I dont think it helps. You can be lit up like a christmas tree and someone will still say they didn't see you and run you over.
I generally wear black (hides the chain oil/dirt) but find cycling defensively is one of the most useful skills to have when cycling in the big smoke

That's my old turf that!

Cycle lanes in the UK are a joke for the most part. After spending time in Oz I was gob smacked at how amazingly setup they are for cyclists, with proper lanes and paths all over the place. Sometimes you don't even need to touch a road.

I like how this started about cat milk though... :lol:

I just found it confusing when I am directed to avoid the red lane on the left and the keep left bollard on the right, when my vehicle is wider than the road allows. I'm going to disobey something to get through, and to be honest at that point I am more concerned with the road junction up ahead, so if there was a cyclist on my left at this point, I may hit him to avoid hitting a bollard.

I cycle and drive but wonder if whoever dreamed up that layout does either:lol:

as for the colour coding I just thought the council had a job lot of paint of a certain colour.

Back to stupidity
My sister in law said she was going to Morrisons as they had a special offer on - chickens half price so off she goes and comes back without any.
I said what happened and she said " they didn''t have any half price only two for the price of one"
It took me ages to explain to her that these in fact were half price!

She also fell for the old Father Ted trick when we took a photo in a restaurant with a bottle of wine at the front of the table and she was at the back and when she saw the photo she said "look at the size of that bottle of wine!" Again I had to explain that the wine was just normal size bottle but she was just further away from the camera!

Back to stupidity
My sister in law said she was going to Morrisons as they had a special offer on - chickens half price so off she goes and comes back without any.
I said what happened and she said " they didn''t have any half price only two for the price of one"
It took me ages to explain to her that these in fact were half price!

She also fell for the old Father Ted trick when we took a photo in a restaurant with a bottle of wine at the front of the table and she was at the back and when she saw the photo she said "look at the size of that bottle of wine!" Again I had to explain that the wine was just normal size bottle but she was just further away from the camera!

How old is your sister in law? I'm a little concerned

At the end of the day cycling in London takes particular skills. I see cyclists in loads of high viz but I dont think it helps. You can be lit up like a christmas tree and someone will still say they didn't see you and run you over.
I generally wear black (hides the chain oil/dirt) but find cycling defensively is one of the most useful skills to have when cycling in the big smoke

+1 for defensive cycling.

I just obey the traffic laws like a car and a bits of road where I feel 'vulnerable' I check my shoulder, drift to the middle of the lane slowly and act like a car. Once 'dodgy' manoeuvre complete resume cycling in the kerb.

With the glass, and sharp plastic bits from wing mirrors! ;-(

Coming from the second city of big smoke, Birmingham.

one moron got so fed-up of his car being stolen during the night that he tied a rope to the bumper that went up through his bedroom window and tied around his ankle.

When the car was stolen again he was dragged out of the window and down the road and was later found dead with the snapped rope still tied to his ankle

Got a good one. Friend of my wifes went to try and pump her boyfriends cars tyres up and couldn't do it. So went into kwik fit and changed all the tyres costing �£280 instead of the 20p she had intended. lol some people, especially her are stupid!

Got a good one. Friend of my wifes went to try and pump her boyfriends cars tyres up and couldn't do it. So went into kwik fit and changed all the tyres costing ��£280 instead of the 20p she had intended. lol some people, especially her are stupid!

Forgot to add, he had just replaced the tyres a month before and she paid for them using his credit card.

Got another one. Mother and sister inlaw, were in Salisbury for the day and went to what they thought was the toilet. It was the cleaners toilet and then got stuck in the small room were the toilet was and spent four hours shouting and screaming out for help. The cleaner eventually came into the room, and then could hear them behind the toilet enterance door, the cleaner gently explained that you have to pull to open the door and not push..which they had been doing...lol

Latest posts

Back