Erm, thoughts please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always wanted to do a Marzen so when the Malt Miller did their latest vid, we'll the all grain kit is in the post but using their Einstein dry yeast instead of the liquid.

Anyway, I want to condition the Marzen until the autumn, but would rather not use one of my kegs just yet.
I Don't want to bottle.
Would there be any harm in once fermenting, syphoning off the trub and cold crashing in my fermenting fridge until a keg comes free?
Any thoughts on how to store the beer before final packaging and carbing. I'd be happy to stretch to a new brew bucket or something that could be repurposed afterwards but not really another keg.
Or is this just a stupid idea?

I'd just buy a recon corny. It's the best option for storing
Why didn't I think of that? I've spent the last couple of weeks looking at pressure fermentors with the view to using them as long term storage vats for historical keeping ales, but they are really pricey, and I've got the perfect vessels sat in my brewing garage. What a numpty. 🤣

Why didn't I think of that? I've spent the last couple of weeks looking at pressure fermentors with the view to using them as long term storage vats for historical keeping ales, but they are really pricey, and I've got the perfect vessels sat in my brewing garage. What a numpty. 🤣
I've got 4.5 cornies and rarely use them for dispense, they're great conditioning tanks. Similar to what is wanted here, I've brewed Lager in winter, kegged it, wrapped it in a bin liner and lagered outside for months when temperatures rarely get above 10C.

I have 14 cornies and use them for maturing/lagering as well as serving so I have done about 4 Lager styles for the summer which are maturing now I have also done a Porter with chocolate and raspberry for christmas which will do the same
My thoughts when I bought them was that they are like money in the bank as long as you look after them you can cash them in whenever suits for at least the same money if not more

Back