Areet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_Henry

Reaction score
Areet. Just introducing myself. I just started all grain the other week, and went the whole hog with malting my own barley!, (probably won't bother again) Now on my third brew. Hoping to learn a thing or two off of you chaps. Cheers

Cheers chaps. No complicated research, but over did it a bit with 7kg, and struggled to maintain temperature in the chuffing Aga. Good experience though!...

welcome and if your head ever feels like its about to explode, dont worry, its just the home brew doing its job :drunk:

welcome and nice work.
i like that you went the whole hog with malting your own!

im sure its just a complete ball ache but i would be interested to know how you did it.

Ade O

adirob said:
welcome and nice work.
i like that you went the whole hog with malting your own!

im sure its just a complete ball ache but i would be interested to know how you did it.

Ade O

Hello Mate,

I got the idea for malting from good old John Seymour and his book on self sufficiency. Whilst it was a ball ache Im thinking of doing another load this week, I swore I wouldn't, but I think Im ready for another pop. One of the problems I had was the amount, I did 7kg, naively thinking Id end up with 7kg of Malt, almost as soon as I'd started I realized the error of my ways. Trying to dry over 7kg of chitted barley at under 60 in an aga is no mean feat. There's quite a lot of links on the web and some vids on youtub. Its really quite easy, and quicker than I thought, but I certainly had some unforeseen obstacles that wont be easily overcome. The main turn off for me was that a sack of Barley costs about £10, and a sack of malted costs about £25, so for the effort Im not sure its worth it. Good fun though. Let me know if you need any help and I'll do my best. Ta

Back