Attenuation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBeKind

Reaction score
Hi, I have brewed probably a hundred plus all grain brews and I have never had a problem with attenuation until my last two brews which reached an attenuation of 55% and 65% respectively. I am a creature of habit and have used the same equipment, same method, same temps for mash and fermentation etc each time. Thermometer and hydrometer checked and ok. As I haven't changed any variables, I'm at a loss to understand what is happening.

The 55% was a highish OG beer but I have brewed it twice before with the same yeast and come in below my expected FG. The 65% one was a moderate OG, again a recipe and yeast I've brewed before.

My next planned brew will have a target of 6.5 ABV and uses 440g of BBC hops so I'm not going to do that one until I sort out my attenuation problem.

what yeast is it?
Mangrove Jacks Empire Ale for the stronger beer, expected attenuation 70 - 80% and MJ Liberty Bell for the lower ABV, expected attenuation 74 - 78%. I would normally reach the higher end of the attenuation range not 10 - 15 points below.

There have been a LOT of threads recently with fermentation bottoming out at 1.020. so much so that I'm wondering whether it's the yeast being supplied that has changed. A lot of them seem to be MJ yeast too. My latest batch using liberty bell finished a few points higher than expected as well.

I had an M15 brew finish at 1.020 earlier in the year. Something like 60% attenuation. 🤷‍♂️

Mangrove Jacks Empire Ale

Oh dear....I've tried to love Empire Ale and have used it a number of times, but the results have been all over the place: best was 80%, poorest was 51%, and quite wides variations each time. I've given up with it.

Liberty Bell is much more reliable, 82-75% in all the brews I've used it in.

Describe your beers a bit more: are they darker ones? I have more issues with the darker ones, Porters and Stouts, paler ales seem to ferment out much better. I don't tent to use Liberty Bell with darker beers which might explain my better results.

Oh dear....I've tried to love Empire Ale and have used it a number of times, but the results have been all over the place: best was 80%, poorest was 51%, and quite wides variations each time. I've given up with it.

Liberty Bell is much more reliable, 82-75% in all the brews I've used it in.

Describe your beers a bit more: are they darker ones? I have more issues with the darker ones, Porters and Stouts, paler ales seem to ferment out much better. I don't tent to use Liberty Bell with darker beers which might explain my better results.
I used the Empire Ale in a 1060 Old Ale with a standard kind of grist plus some black treacle. When it bottomed out at about 1024 after two weeks, I threw in a champagne yeast and left it another week but no effect whatsoever.

The Liberty Bell went into a simple bitter projected to be about 5.5. It was at 1022 after two weeks. I left it another week and it came down to about 1020. I have never had a problem with Liberty Bell. In fact, in general my brews tend to overattenuate which is why I’m perplexed.

I was reluctant to try Empire Ale precisely because of lots of threads talking about stuck fermentations, but I've had very good results so far. I'd class it's a low attenuating yeast though.. fine when that's the aim.

M15 Empire is entirely unable to ferment maltotriose. It is the lowest attenuating yeast on the market, averaging 60% for most "normal" barley worts. If you don't like that, use any other yeast.

It's worth remembering that houses are turning cold this time of year so if you haven't got any temp control, your brew may get too cool and stall. A garden trug and 50W fish tank heater to put your FV in is a simple, cheap solution.

Re M15, when I used it I wanted a low-attenuating yeast but I got such inconsistent results, I wouldn't mind if it was 60%ish every time but it was all over the place so impossible to plan the ABV with any accurancy.

Latest posts

Back