Back brewing after 15 years

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could move the FV into a cold garage for a couple of days if you have one to help the crud and yeast drop to the bottom before kegging

Ok folks on day 10 now of my Wherry hydrometer reading is currently giving me 1012 and has been steady for a few days, so a ABV is approximately 4.2%
Had a peek inside the fermenter and there’s still a few bubbles on top ( attached photo) bearing in mind I’ve witnessed zero activity from the airlock.
Should I leave it a few more days? As I’ve got a cold so can’t even smell or taste it lol.
My son said it does smells amazing so I’m optimistic.
Got a pressure keg waiting for it once primary has finished where I’ll add granulated sugar and leave a few more weeks before moving somewhere cold.
Second picture was taken 2 days ago
Tia
Peter

Attachments

• 23199766-88F1-4EBB-BBF4-1FC71F1AE2F6.jpeg
    23199766-88F1-4EBB-BBF4-1FC71F1AE2F6.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 6DA3C1D6-7B6E-4D20-B020-745750B13549.jpeg
    6DA3C1D6-7B6E-4D20-B020-745750B13549.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0
quick question?
Is there anyway to improve head retention on beer? Will it improve the longer it’s left.
Added 70g of granulated sugar to mine 3 days ago and pulled a cheeky sample off to check hydrometer reading my Wherry is coming out at 4.46% which is almost blob on the 4.5% and tasted pretty good.
Photo attached is the sample came out with some pressure and head disappeared after 3/4 minutes is this normal.
It’s also quite clear and agin will this improve over time.
Just have to keep off it now for 3/4 weeks

Attachments

• A40DF8EB-69A2-4A5F-894B-1C180FC187A3.jpeg
    A40DF8EB-69A2-4A5F-894B-1C180FC187A3.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
A small ammount of porridge posts in the grain bill will certainly help.

Also make sure your rinsing is spotless any soap residue ruins head.

quick question?
Is there anyway to improve head retention on beer? Will it improve the longer it’s left.
Added 70g of granulated sugar to mine 3 days ago and pulled a cheeky sample off to check hydrometer reading my Wherry is coming out at 4.46% which is almost blob on the 4.5% and tasted pretty good.
Photo attached is the sample came out with some pressure and head disappeared after 3/4 minutes is this normal.
Am I right in thinking you are brewing extract kits ? If so I would try a product called ‘ Heads Up ‘ by Harris it’s widely available. I used this with great success before I moved over to AG and use Carapils or Carafoam now but oats work great too

quick question?
Summary of comments above plus bit more (I hope)...

Head retention improvement - yes if you were doing all grain, a few types of grain added to the mash help with head retention. Never heard of heads up, needs googling.

Clarity - yes, the longer you leave it the clearer it gets.

keep off it for 3-4 weeks - I've never managed that :laugh8:.

Thanks for the replies, the problem I have is it’s already in the pressure keg with 70g of priming sugar so I’m guessing I can’t open that now to add further ingredients.
Guess I can just leave it a few weeks more and maybe add so CO2 through the valve on top of the keg if needed, all though it did seem to have good pressure in the keg just poor head retention.

Thanks for the replies, the problem I have is it’s already in the pressure keg with 70g of priming sugar so I’m guessing I can’t open that now to add further ingredients.
Guess I can just leave it a few weeks more and maybe add so CO2 through the valve on top of the keg if needed, all though it did seem to have good pressure in the keg just poor head retention.
I don't know about the others but I wasn't suggesting you add some eg dextrin malt to this brew - I was offering advice for your next brew. With this one, I'd suggest just enjoying it the way it is. Learning process blah blah <g>

Latest posts

Back