Back sweetening

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Price777

Reaction score
Need info on this please i mixed up a cherry cider and when its finished i want to back sweetening it but i dont want it to referment i also want to carbonate with carbonation drops any advice still a newbie to brewing

Firstly don't bother with carbonation drops....a complete waste of money. Ordinary table sugar will do the job - huge bag in Poundland
Secondly most people sweeten their ciders etc with a non-fermentable agent such as splenda.
Hope that helps a little but Im sure Tau will be along soon and give you his real world experience.

I make a lot of dessert wines and have found the best back sweetener is Truvia (stevia) becareful with it, its double strength of sugar. its not cheap but a little goes a long way, does not cloud dissolves just like sugar.

Firstly don't bother with carbonation drops....a complete waste of money. Ordinary table sugar will do the job - huge bag in Poundland
Secondly most people sweeten their ciders etc with a non-fermentable agent such as splenda.
Hope that helps a little but Im sure Tau will be along soon and give you his real world experience.

Has Robin says carbonation drops are an expensive con. just use sugar.:thumb:

Thanks everyone for your advice I think I'll give splenda ago and why I am using carb drops is because I didn't want to make a mistake and over carb it i will use drops for now because I already purchased them but definitely you's sugar next time

Thanks everyone for your advice I think I'll give splenda ago and why I am using carb drops is because I didn't want to make a mistake and over carb it i will use drops for now because I already purchased them but definitely you's sugar next time
No problem, just use them up. The best place for them is in the cubby hole near the gear stick in your car:lol:

I've got some Turbo Cider on the go and don't want it to end up dry as the Sahara. What's the verdict on the best sweetener to use? Which one affects taste the least like chemicals?
Stevia already seems like a good bet, but more opinions would be great.

I've got some Turbo Cider on the go and don't want it to end up dry as the Sahara. What's the verdict on the best sweetener to use? Which one affects taste the least like chemicals?
Stevia already seems like a good bet, but more opinions would be great.

I use Splenda.

It's based on a sweetener called Sucralose ... :thumb:

... which has marginally less negative comments written about it than Aspartame! :doh:

I don't notice any after-taste with Splenda, but as my palate is so screwed up with old age, long-term smoking, drinking and a love of spicy foods, it isn't much of a reassurance! :lol:

Latest posts

Back