Bad fermentation smell

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjr13m

Reaction score
Hi, I've just made up a Youngs American IPA kit. Sanitised everything as I normally would. Pitched the yeast at 23C. Fermentation bin is in a temp controlled water bath at 20C. Was pleased to see some fermentation activity after just 12 hours. Walked into my garage this morning 36 hours after pitching and well, all I can say is the place smells like a fart :-(. What's gone wrong?

Thanks

Fermentation can produce sulphur-type fatty smells. There's not much you can do about it, so leave it be and see what you end up with.

Dave

I made a dandelion wine last year (almost time to do it again - st George's day tradition apparently)

It smelled foul! Like a demi of warm farts. 😖

Month later, tasted amazing!

Don't worry about it.

The young's apa smelt awful during fermentation, almost as bad as the cider kit I did. Neither of my young's ipa kits gave anything that nasty but yeast does what it needs to.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I'll see how it turns out. I've read good reviews of this kit so I'm looking forward to trying it.

Yep, it stinks...but wow ...it drinks nicely, when conditioned
Having said that, you may have wind after a few pints!!! lol

Wow! I needn't have worried. What a fantastic kit this turned out to be, would not be out of place in my local real ale pub :drink:

Back