Bad luck so ****** off

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cqr

Reaction score
Just bout a beer kit
Festival, razorback ipa
All went well till I put the thermometer in
Reading very very hot , I know the Walt was no more than 25
Then I noticed the foam where I put the thermometer in is red
The f,,, bottom off the git had broken off
Rant over
Beer down the drain :doh:
Should I use extra care washing out my FV is than red stuf very bad for u

Thanks hoptiot
On the plus side I've got a spare yeast+ a packet of hops now

Old mercury thermometers were banned years ago. As was said I would have thought it was food safe .Just in case it does break or small hands get hold of it. ;-)

Would have been a reason to give that brew a funny name though. ;-)

Red ink possibly from China? No thanks!

Diluted into massive amounts?

'And you think that's air your breathing now?' ������������;-)

But would you still drink it? I'm sure glass sinks.

Yes I avoided that issue....I'd probably need to convince myself (via google search) that the spirit (albeit tiny quantity) in the broken thermometer is safe...I expect it will be, but would want to double check first. I wouldn't worry about the glass since as you say it will sink, and if worried you could filter it though fine (sanitised ) muslin or something before bottling.

Of course all comments expressed here are of the poster alone and do not represent the the forum policy, or some legal jargon.

Say it fast it sounds convincing. :-)

Me I'd have probly filtered it too, but would have inspected the thermometer first to see how Mich was missing.

Like I said I'd have just give it a funny name and probly stuck it in the back of the shed. Wouldn't have binned it though.

I've only ever dumped one brew. And it smelled like it could remove false nails. :-(

I poured it down the sink
Glass sinks no problem there
But the red stuff, no thanks
Digital for me next

That is such bad luck - commiserations.
Razorback IPA is one of the best kits I've brewed. I've got a second one in the FV at the moment. I use a glass thermometer on brew days. Now I have another thing to worry about!

I poured it down the sink
Glass sinks no problem there
But the red stuff, no thanks
Digital for me next

unless I knew what the red stuff was I would have done exactly the same as you, good to see you are getting over it now though :thumb:

Ok hands up.

I would have been wary. Probs still bottled it and shoved deep deep in the back of the coal shed come brew store.

Just for a rainy day ;-)

The red stuff is alcohol with a red dye in it so you can see it.

Yes, I'm certain this is true. But what alcohol? I'm not at all sure it would be ethanol. Yes, it's only a small amount of an unknown alcohol and an unknown red dye - but I surely wouldn't want them as an unexpected ingredient in my beer!

Latest posts

Back