Bag in Box, any good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill W

Reaction score
I'm just about to start a cheapo 21 litre red wine kit, mainly to have something, other than beer, drinkable by Christmas. I'm still in the process of collecting empties for my wine bottle collection, so I'd be hard-pressed to have enough, even if I brew short, which I'm planning to do, to improve body and flavour. Besides which, as this is just a stop-gap wine, I'm not over-enthusiastic about the faff of bottling it for a large portion of it to be drunk over Crimbo.
Therefore, I was thinking that bag-in-box might be the way to go. It's probably not something I'd use for more expensive kits or for fruit wines I'd put a lot of care into, but for bulk plonk they seem kind of appropriate. I thought maybe get a pack of 5x 5 litre bags and brew a couple of litres short to bag it in 4 bags. Never having used such technology for home brew, I wondered what experience others had with the (allegedly) re-usable bags? Did the wine keep well? Are they easy to fill, clean, re-use etc?

I used a combination of 2 litre and 1.5 litre spring water bottles when i first started wine making you can use the water to make the wine and keep the bottle for bottling.

5l bag in box things are all I use for my wine.

5 Litre Bag In A Box with Plain Box and Vitop Tap Dispenser - Jars & Things

Other quantities are available as are other suppliers.
https://www.baginboxshop.co.uk/copy-of-bag-in-box-bibHope those two links work. They're a doddle to clean out as long as you only push the tap into the bag outlet one notch. They still seal and pull out easily for cleaning. Bit more difficult if the push them in more than that. Once you've filled them and fitted the tap, make sure you squeeze out as much air from the bag as you can through the tap 👍

Cheers Tom

Back