Buying a small-scale mashing system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelwaddingham

Reaction score
Hi all.
After 8 years home-brewing I’m looking to get my first automated mash/sparge/boil kit. I’ve built up a nice collection of gear and bits over the years and it all works nicely but the time has come to invest in something fancy so I can get the precision to make the same beer every time.

I’m thinking about a 30-ish litre system and I’d rather spend more than less. I’ve read reviews where the bottom of the grain bucket falls out etc, and I’d rather keep using the simple stuff I can trust than buy a machine that fails after a year.

It’s been a source of pride to me to be able to brew good beer with the same old setup for years, the idea being “how cheaply can I make good beer?” - but after 8 years, I can justify making that leap.

So what’s reliable out there? I’d like something that has more bells and whistles, but sturdiness and NOT BREAKING is my priority 😉

There are several comparison guides between the 'All in ones' on youtube, I remember watching David Heath's guide here which links into parts 2 and 3.

I have had a Grainfather for 3 years and in well over 50 brews, I have never had the bottom of the malt pipe fall out, it can be a little fiddly to ease into place, but once there it stays in place.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for, but from comments on here all systems are generally liked by their owners.

The brewzilla, brewmonk, hopcat, ace, klarstein, grainfather etc are all remarkably similar systems. All reliable, all popular, all with good community support, and all built in China at the lowest possible cost (usually at Foshan Shunde Damai Kitchen Utensils Co., Ltd. - electrical appliance, kitchen utensils

Fortunately, they don’t break down often, because if they did, they are not designed with repair in mind. Element fails, you just buy another. I had one. Loved it, made good beer and learned a lot.

The other option, if budget is not the main driver, is to create your ideal system with seperate components. You can determine what bells and whistles, and you can build what you want in terms of quality vs cost. Vessels, elements, baskets, PID controllers, valves, hoses etc.
Take a look at Brewbuilder or the Clawhammer system for example.

In the PET bottles parcel I received today was a a leaflet advertising their "Made in Germany"Speidel Braumeister'. But a quick Google tells me you're looking a 2000 euros for a 20 litre jobbie! No ta!

It’s been a source of pride to me to be able to brew good beer with the same old setup for years, the idea being “how cheaply can I make good beer?” -

Absolutely!

I totally share that view. I have a look, for a laff, on ebay the other day to see if there are still any boilers around like mine (galvanised).

Reader, there weren't. The two or three that were available were all 'non-runners', advertised for use as a 'planter' for garden or patio!
I dunno how old mine is, must be at least 50 years old. I remember having to cut the old 'round pin' plug off it, and connect one of those new-fangled square pin type. That would have been in the early 80s. They sure built thing to last back in the day.

One day I guess it's going to die and will have to be replaced. But unlike the OP, I really don't think I want or need anything more than an simple boiler. Pumps, piping, filters, grain baskets... you can keep them!

if you are really happy spending more than less you won’t go far wrong with a bruimeister. It’s not without it own issue or two but it’s a solid build and Generally a pleasure to work with.

I have a feeling the GF offers better value for money though. Although the BM holds it value very well if you were to sell it on at a later stage.

TBH after 8 years making good beer and I'm sure you know your system inside and out why change a good thing as you who'll be making and it's the equipment that's there to be used.
I used a mash tun,Burco boiler and a smaller tea urn converted to a Hermes setup and I regret selling it be it only a month ago.I thought it would be easier but still have too mash,check temps clean and all the rest and I could make bigger beers in the other system though the main advantage is the footprint and that's about it so would certainly think about it.

I started with a 35 litre robobrew and now have a 70 litre Guten. Very happy with them both, bigger has been easier and still cost less than a grainfather.
Pressure fermenting and temperature control of ferment made more of a difference to my beer than closer control of mash temp. But pushing the button and having it step mash unsupervised is very easy.

I was sure I needed a Grainfather, fretted for ages over it. A Brewzilla came up for sale and there were a couple of things I preferred on the Brewzilla, and a couple on the Grainfather.
Did my first brew yesterday and all went well, so at least if I cock it up in the future, I know it’s not the equipment
My biggest thing was that the Grainfather had the c
Screen mounted at the top, which I liked.

I shouldn’t had worried about it, I did the brew manually yesterday, and I think I will probably always do that.
I already had the Grainfather conical fermenter, so I was a bit concerned about the build quality of a cheaper system. Again, needn’t have worried.
If money is no object, get a Grainfather conical fermenter. I got mine after the second malt extract brew I did. Fretting over temperatures for a fortnight was not my idea of fun. Fantastic piece of kit, set the temperature and leave it. You can even check it while you are out on the app.

TBH after 8 years making good beer and I'm sure you know your system inside and out why change a good thing as you who'll be making and it's the equipment that's there to be used.
I used a mash tun,Burco boiler and a smaller tea urn converted to a Hermes setup and I regret selling it be it only a month ago.I thought it would be easier but still have too mash,check temps clean and all the rest and I could make bigger beers in the other system though the main advantage is the footprint and that's about it so would certainly think about it.
That nicely sums up my view, too :-)

The reason is, I don’t even have a mash tun or boiler. I mash in a fermenter using a false bottom from a saucepan veg steamer insert with a blanket around it; I get all my hot water from a 40L pan on a giant propane burner. Then I boil in the giant pan, chill with a spiral of 10mm copper pipe, and stick it in my second fermenter.

(That’s what I meant by “as cheaply as possible”. I just bought a hop spider and that was my biggest equipment spend of the last 12 months)

It’s a fussy process. after so long using what is essentially a beginner’s setup with the absolute cheapest add-ons, having everything in one place up to fermentation is a very attractive prospect!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back