banana wine??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karen torness

Reaction score
hiya,do anybody have a recipe for banana wine? a friend made it years ago using dried but she cant remember how to do it!

Cairn O Mohr did one for the millennium and vowed never again asking the question, "Have you ever tried to juice a banana?!?!?"

ive never done it but ive heard you need over ripe bananas Moley may advise you better hes on quite regular and is a bit of a wine expert

There are a few recipes on Google for banana wine. I've been looking at making one in the near future. If you do make one, mind letting me know the results?

If you use bananas, let them go black on the outside. Then whiz them in a blender and then boil. Following the boil squeeze out the juice in a sieve. Banana adds body and a wine from all banana will be a very heavy wine. I usually mix banana with grape juice and apple to let it down a bit. Then it's good.

I have a wicked banana wine maturing in my dads cellar, was mashed in feb 2011, bottled in May 2012, and only drank one bottle, which was lovely in Sept this year, tasted like rocket fuel in May. You could read a newpaper through the dj quite easily by time it was bottled. The only bad thing about it was the stench of cooked bananas, but I had the same problem when making banana bread which the kids loved.

here is the link to the recipe

http://goodwine.spaceports.com/bananawine.htm

I've used an over-ripe banana in my two parsnip wines to alter the flavour slightly. When you drink a good dessert wine and it has that slight taste of grape Noble rot (e.g. in Sauternes) - over-ripe banana adds that flavour. Leave it until the skin has gone completely black so that the banana is very soft inside.

1.5 - 2kg parsnips, chopped
200-250g minced raisins, currants or sultanas
Juice of 3 lemons
1-1.2kg white sugar
1 black banana, mashed

Boil the parsnips with the raisins, lemon juice and banana for 15 minutes in 4 litres of water (I do it in two batches). Pour it through a sieve and allow to cool. Add yeast, nutrient and pectolase. Leave it to ferment and top up with water to one gallon. Let it clear by itself, bottle and allow to age for a minimum of 3 months. You can stop it fermenting while it's still sweet or back-sweeten it afterwards.

bobsbeer said:
If you use bananas, let them go black on the outside. Then whiz them in a blender and then boil. Following the boil squeeze out the juice in a sieve. Banana adds body and a wine from all banana will be a very heavy wine. I usually mix banana with grape juice and apple to let it down a bit. Then it's good.

What sort of weight of banana flesh and grape juice would be used per gallon. I picked up forty medium sized bananas today for two quid from Morrison's and was thinking of doing some banana wine.

Thanks Neil

I am 7 days into making my banana and spice wine just sucked a teaspoonful off the must to see how it was doing and nearly choked to death! :shock: (took my breath away)

So lots of promise there- if it works out I will post the recipe- early days yet.

Latest posts

Back