Beaverdale Tweaks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSW

Reaction score
Has anyone got ideas on making a Beaverdale get to the 14% mark rather than the 11.5% they seem to come out at?

A specific yeast, adding less water or adding more sugar?

How much have you used in the past to get 11%

I don't use any, its my first kit and Beaverdale say not to add any. The juice has a bit of inverted syrup in the ingredients I've noticed however.

If you have a hydrometer heres a link for to a table for amounts of sugar to alcohol

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...jjscgP&usg=AFQjCNG6PVEf_VK-D9Hddq3f4Brm_7ffHA

The starting gravity of Beaverdales is 1075. Looking at the table for the 14% mark it shows a gravity of 1105.

Am I right in thinking I have to get the Beaverdale gravity to 1105 - if so, how do I do that?

If my calculations are right to get 14% you would have to add a extra 300g ish of sugar, for a 1 gallon batch

Thats 69g per litre

Thanks for that, it's what I'm gonna' do next time around.

I did find a thread somewhere else on another forum saying adding less water would offer me the same results as adding sugar for the Beaverdale kits.

I've noticed that my hydrometer wouldn't allow me to see if its actually 14% e.g. it doesn't go that far.

Less water should give the wine more body and flavour while adding sugar will just raise the ABV.

I can't decide wether do use less water or add more sugar.

Think I might just decrease the water.

Why not make the kit as per instructions and see if you like it, if you don't how are you going to tell how good/bad your experimental version is compared to the standard wine?

Why does it have to be 14% you wont taste any difference it'll just get you ****** quicker.

I am making the kit as per instructions.

I'm simply adding scope/ideas for my next batch.

No. I apologize if that's how I implied it.

Its 1000 at the moment since racking on Friday.

I racked to a ferment bin, will that be a slower secondary ferment then a demijohn?

Will do.

I racked to a bin rather than demijohn - is that a problem, by the way?

If its a gallon in a 5 gallon bucket i wouldn't leave it in there for long before bottling due to head space.

Its 23 litres in a 30 litre bucket.

Whats the issue if it were less?

From what I understand. Head space, or air above your wine is fine during fermentation as the CO2 produced will fill the space and protect the wine. If the wine is not fermenting and so not producing CO2, prolonged exposure to the air can oxydise your wine.

Which is the excuse I give the missus for having to drink the whole bottle. :wink:

Latest posts

Back