Beer Bread!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
I`ve been meaning to make some bread with some left over yeast from a brew for ages and see that quite a few people do this, so i thought i`d do a bread day post!! Not sure if this is the best place for it as it didn`t really fit in any area!

Beer Bread :D

if anyone has never made bread give it a go - just like brewing beer once you have the principals you can change around ingredients to suit what you like, today i`m going to bake a simple loaf with spelt which is an old grain we use to make bread out of around roman times - wonder if you can brew with spelt :hmm:

Recipe (grain bill!!)

300grams strong white flour
100grams wholegrain spelt flour
100grams malthouse flour

1 1/2 tsp seasalt
1tbsp honey
1tbsp olive oil or butter
300ml warm water (you may need a little more or less)
yeast from a brew - i used a SO-4 from a pale ale, around one large tablespoon

IMGP2035.jpg

weigh out the flour into a bowl and add your salt,
IMGP2036.jpg

dissolve your honey in warm water and top up to 300mls,
IMGP2037.jpg

pour half the liquid into the flour and give a litle stir then add your yeast,
IMGP2038.jpg

stir and add up to the rest of the liquid and your oil or melted butter, it should look craggy and not to wet,
IMGP2039.jpg

turn out onto a floured surface and knead for around ten minutes to work the dough, you are helping the gluten become pliable so the yeast can stretch the dough during proving,
IMGP2040.jpg

when kneaded it will look and feel soft and not be sticky,
IMGP2041.jpg

grease and flour a tin and put the dough in - roughly shape like your tin,
IMGP2042.jpg

cover with a cloth and put somewhere warm for up to two hours to prove and rise - i used the windowsill as its sunny today and the cat was there and he is always in the warmest place!!it will double in size
IMGP2043.jpg

at this point put it in a pre-heated oven at around 200degrees c for 30 to 35 mins, mine is nearly done! I always sprinkle some flour on top before baking to stop the crust burning. When you think its cooked tap the bottom of the bread - if it sounds hollow its done! Turn it out and allow to cool a little then tuck in - will post cooked pics very soon ;)

OK lunch is ready, home made bread and beer and some butter and cheese :thumb:

IMGP2044.jpg
IMGP2045.jpg
IMGP2047.jpg
IMGP2048.jpg

Freshly baked bread smells great and tastes great straight from the oven, this loaf has a cruchy crust and light slightly crumpety texture - this is from the spelt flour. The malthouse flour adds a great grain flavour to. Like hombrewed beer you get great satisfaction munching on homebaked bread - give it a go :thumb:

That looks fantastic! Great loaf mate!

Never done that... I may mix your recipe with mine. This is my spent grain recipe that I've tweaked over the years - but I'm sure that using the yeast from a brew would make it even better.

800g strong white flour
1 level teaspoon of salt
1 packet of dry baker’s yeast
1 level teaspoon of brown sugar (providing all sugars have been sparged from the grain)
400 – 500g spent grain (wet weight and depending on how ‘rustic’ you like your bread)
425ml warm water

Flour, salt, sugar and yeast into a large bowl, add grain and mix well. Add about ¾ of the water and mix with wooden spoon, if too dry add water until mix is thick but stodgy. Remove from bowl and knead (I usually knead for a minimum of 15 minutes (or until arms drop off, the longer the better). Return to a clean bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for 2 hours. Knock air out, knead again for 5 minutes. Either divide into 2 equal pieces, put in buttered tins and allow to rise – or place on a buttered metal tray and allow to rise (approx 1 more hour). Dust top with a little flour and bung in the oven for about 35 – 45 mins.
Note: I never leave the grain more than 24 hours (refrigerated) before using it.

Looks a great recipe tony, i`m brewing an old peculier clone tommorrow and if i have time will bake a couple of loaves with the spent grain, using the yeast from your brew makes a much better bread - even though its started of as a dried yeast its grown and is alive - much more simular to a live yeast starter for baking :cool:

Reckon i could have a couple of loaves ready for the oven before the end of the boil :party: need to rack some wine too!!

rickthebrew said:
............ and the cat was there and he is always in the warmest place!!it will double in size

:shock: now that I've gotta see :whistle: :rofl:

bread with beer grains ............. this forum just gets better :thumb:

The guys over the pond (at www.basicbrewing.com) did a comparison brewing beer using BREAD yeast and making bread using BEER yeast. Result well it works either way :cheers:

I will give the spent grain a try next time I brew, just missed the one on Sat, all the malt went to the recycling (garden waste) and next one will probably be an OSH recipe once I get the grain bill for it, must admit my new bread maker is getting used a lot more than my old one dd :thumb:

I make at least 1 loaf a week by hand.
ingredients:
350g-allinsons strong white flour.
150g-allinsons whole meal flour or allinsons malted flour.
1-1/2tsp-salt.
3tsp-billington's light brown sugar.
2tbls-oilseed rape.
300ml-lukewarm water.
1-packet allinsons bread yeast.
Method:mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl,add oilseed rape and water mix until it
forms a dough, then knead for 10 min and the put the dough in a loaf tin, cover with a damp
tea-towel and leave to rise for 90 min.
Then place the loaf tin a pre heated oven gas mark 7 for 30-35 min.
Note.
some recipes use more than 500g,when making a small loaf.
They can use 600g of flour.

I make all my bread in my bread maker as my hands don't like the kneeding bit (f*cking excema :evil: ).

I'll definately be back to try the spent grain breads - what a fantastic idea!!!

Latest posts

Back