Beer carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted recently about a batch of beer that I made that was over carbonated. I have a related question.

I just did a beer and I used the same amount of priming sugar for the batch as all my previous beers. It was bottle conditioned in german style flip top bottles. This beer was over carbonated.

I have recently open the batch I made following that and it has considerably lower levels of carbonation with a similar amount of priming sugar and more in line with my previous batches. These were done in reused commercial bottle with my cheapo home capping press tool.

Does anyone think that the big difference in carbonation between the two batches is down to the fact that the flip tops held the pressure better allowing less to escape over the weeks while the pressed tops allowed a bit of leakage?

Or is it simply a case of every batch of beer is going to be different and it's just down to the way that that particular batch turned out.

I will do a batch in the future with the different types of bottles to see if they come out different, but that won't happen for a few weeks and I wanted to know if anyone had a definitive answer

One thing I can say, without asking all sorts of questions, is that you can get consistent results in your carbonation.
My advice is to keep a detailed record of your pitching temperature, fermenting temperature, length of fermentation, priming sugar amount, bottle conditioning temperature including length of time in bottle and types of beers with attention to the fermentables used.

One thing I can say, without asking all sorts of questions, is that you can get consistent results in your carbonation.
My advice is to keep a detailed record of your pitching temperature, fermenting temperature, length of fermentation, priming sugar amount, bottle conditioning temperature including length of time in bottle and types of beers with attention to the fermentables used.
Very interesting reply. Things tend to be the temperatures they are ambiently. I have not made any effort on the front other than to make sure fermentation and bottling is at room temperature.

I had not considered that the fermentation length and bottle conditioning length would affect the carbonation level.

Really only been paying close attention to the priming sugar amounts used.

Anyone got any opinions as to weather the capper caped bottles might be leaking a bit of carbonation vs the german swing tops?

swing tops
Ill-fitted caps could leak; however, I don't think they would leak uniformly. leaving the same, light carbonation. If bad capping is the culprit, they would not have noticeably carbonated, for the most part--a few might have a slightly better seal for some weak carbonation.
I could be wrong about the capping but I suspect the carbonation issue is due to something prior to bottling.

Anyone got any opinions as to weather the capper caped bottles might be leaking a bit of carbonation vs the german swing tops?
Agree with Detroit, chances of it being the caps are next to nothing. More likely the beer might have been bottled when it hadn't finished, or got some wild yeast in there which leads eventually to gushers. Don't know how you primed but with a batch priming solution if you just pour it in the middle of the beer it'll just sink to the bottom if you haven't got a gentle swirl. With that you'll have some bottles mega fizzy and others dead.

You don't have to prime the bottles at room temperature. If you cold crash and then add the priming solution properly it's absolutely not an issue.

Get those super fizzy bottles cold before opening them, that'll help. And tell us your method of adding the priming sugar.

Agree! It could be an infection or irregular priming.
If you cold crash just use fermentation temp to calculate your priming rate. I bottled a beer today that was straight out the fridge at 3c.

My priming technique is;

1. measure the sugar using scales after judging the amount using an online calculator. usually between 130g and 150g for 23l of beer. I like it slightly above average carbonation
2. Boil about 500ml of water and dissolve the sugar making sure not to burn it.
3. Let the solution cool
4. put the solution in an empty bottling vessel
5. transfer the fermented liquid in on top of the solution try to ensure it mixes well
6. bottle from the bottling vessel into the bottles with a syphon

unfortunately I don't have fridge space to cold crash my bottling bucket or fermenter

Sounds text book..I didn't use to stir it..gently,until I had a batch that was a little unevenly carbonated,now I just give it a nice waft with a sanitised paddle as it transfers.

I think I will give the next lot a good waft. Cheers for the thought folks

Hi guys and gals,

Need a bit of advice, I'm currently making a cherry wheat beer (little experience of fruit beers), I've added equivalent of 100g of cherries per litre of beer in primary, when I tried it I found it a little tart and dry on palate.
I racked into my secondary with more cherries about 50g to every litre. I then added 1 campden tablet to every UK gallon to try and stall fermentation, after I did all this I then realised I've probably wasted a load of beer or been an idiot for even putting it in secondary.
Anyway my biggest thought now comes to bottling, am I even going to be able to prime if I've added campden tablets to the secondary and what should I do, if anything different on bottling day? I have a terrible feeling theses are going to turn in to exploders or gushers.
Help

Hi guys and gals,

Need a bit of advice, I'm currently making a cherry wheat beer (little experience of fruit beers), I've added equivalent of 100g of cherries per litre of beer in primary, when I tried it I found it a little tart and dry on palate.
I racked into my secondary with more cherries about 50g to every litre. I then added 1 campden tablet to every UK gallon to try and stall fermentation, after I did all this I then realised I've probably wasted a load of beer or been an idiot for even putting it in secondary.
Anyway my biggest thought now comes to bottling, am I even going to be able to prime if I've added campden tablets to the secondary and what should I do, if anything different on bottling day? I have a terrible feeling theses are going to turn in to exploders or gushers.
Help
In my experience brewers don't normally add campden tabs to beer to halt a fermentation. They usually allow the fermentation to completely finish on its own, and if the beer is to be naturally conditioned add an amount of priming sugar appropriate to the style, and then package. That said, I have no experience of using fruit in beer.
Anyway I suggest you leave you beer alone for a few days to settle down and any last signs of the primary to finish, during which time any excess SO2 should also dissipate, then go ahead and prime as normal and package. That way any residual yeast will only consume priming sugar as intended. However if your beer is still tart and dry tasting prior to packaging you could consider adding lactose or artificial sweetener to provide sweetness, although others may have better ideas.

Latest posts

Back