How to package beer in a bag?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rento

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m about to split a batch of ale between a corny and a bag so I can use some in my hand pull. Can anyone advise on carbonation in the bag. I.e. should I add some sugar to it and leave it for a week or 2, or just bag it straight from the FV as it is?

I’ve only ever run my hand pull from the corny in the past but want to try and be true to ‘real ale’ to see the difference compared to the keg.

Any help appreciated.

Ooo. I really would not have thought of carbonisation and bags in the same sentence. I assumed you would not. Just fill direct from the fv. Dunno

I too am watching for some edification.

Craft beer channel brewing five points best he puts his beer in bag and then on engine.
Can't remember the details though.
Can't remember if it's video one or two either.
But they are a good watch especially when he pulls his first pint.

Just bag it there is enough carb in the beer from the fermentation.
I just do this and some times I have to vent the co2 that may come out of the beer(over the next few days) by pressing the bag and letting the air out of the filler/or tap so as to exclude oxygen. i do this so a little beer comes out so that I know no air/oxygen is in the bag.
Too much carbonation will cause issues with the handpull.

Thanks for thoughts. I’ll package 5l in a bag as is to try and leave the rest in the fv for a bit longer.

I understand the concept of residual co2 after fermentation but breweries still lightly prime their kegs and then vent for dispense. If it’s not ideal I could keg with a table spoon of sugar and bag from the keg after a little time.

My ultimate goal is beer in a bag for taking to friends with the hand pump..…more fun than my usual sodastream coolbox setup.

If you are going to drink the beer that you take to friends in an evening then you could transfer it brite at say 1.2 vols CO2 to a 5 litre plastic container.
When you get there set up engine , unscrew lid put tube in and serve.
No need to worry about the bag.

Thanks for thoughts. I’ll package 5l in a bag as is to try and leave the rest in the fv for a bit longer.

I understand the concept of residual co2 after fermentation but breweries still lightly prime their kegs and then vent for dispense. If it’s not ideal I could keg with a table spoon of sugar and bag from the keg after a little time.

My ultimate goal is beer in a bag for taking to friends with the hand pump..…more fun than my usual sodastream coolbox setup.
Don't forget they are adding sugar to a barrel and not a plastic bag that will expand and split, when I put beer in my plastic bags they blow up with just the residual co2 coming out of the beer sometimes so if you do that you will have to turn the bag upside down from the tap to vent out some of the co2 or a split bag may happen

Last edited:
Don't forget they are adding sugar to a barrel and not a plastic bag that will expand and split, when I put beer in my plastic bags they blow up with just the residual co2 coming out of the beer sometimes so if you do that you will after turn the bag upside down from the tap to vent out some of the co2 or a split bag may happen

Beer fountain beside the chocolate fountain, great party 🍻😂

I put mine in to a polypin bag(thicker plastic) straight from the fermenter. Then I put a 3/8 to 3/8 john guest fitting on tap and push gas line in. Sit it so beers away from tap and I fill head space with 70/30 gas. If it starts bulging just release a little gas.

So I bagged 5lites straight from the FV last night and pulled a pint this evening. It poured perfect with a decent head, it’s got pretty low carbonation as expected but the head persists so I’m happy! It’s also super cold as at garage temp just now so I guess it’ll be slightly more carb’d when it warms up a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_5217.jpeg
    IMG_5217.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back