Beer in demi-johns

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerbrews

Regular.
Reaction score
Ok, so I like to do 5l experimental brews in demijohns before scaling up (if successful) to 20l.
2 problems/issues that I would appreciate input on:

1) How best to take starting gravity reading? At present, I dangle the hydrometer on a piece of string into the neck of the DJ.
This is not v satisfactory. Ideas?

2) Dry hopping. I have tried: in hop bags, not easy to squeeze a bag in and a bugger to get out:confused.:
loose, a mess and lots of matter floating about.
best option (so far) a hop tea.

Hopefully some of you guys/gals have suggestions which would make it easier
Cheers

Sanitised turkey baster for hydro readings
1702023063650.png

Could you use a test jar for the hydrometer?

Hop tea all the way. Such a slick solution.
Yes, use a trial jar (Link) and a turkey baster. Suck out enough to nearly fill the jar, add hydrometer, take reading. It's then your choice as to whether to drink the sample, throw it away or chuck it back in. I'm not one for wasting beer so I sanitise everything and put the sample back in, though if it's nearing the end of fermentation I do save a bit back just to see how it tastes,

How do you manage to leave enough head space in a demi John to cope with initial fermentation?
I, too, want to start making smaller, experimental brews to try out a glut of new hops I seem to have accumulated in my fridge. I was thinking of using the PETs from 5l of supermarket water since my demijohns only hold 4.5 litres anyway.

Last edited:
How do you manage to leave enough head space in a demi John to cope with initial fermentation?
I tend to fill it up to about-or-just-above the start of where it starts to curve in to the neck. That allows plenty of room for the krausen.

I, too, want to start making smaller, experimental brews to try out a glut of new hops I seem to have accumulated in my fridge. I was thinking of using the PETs from 5l of supermarket water since my demijohns only hold 4.5 litres anyway.
That's a good idea and homebrew stores sell "5L PET fermenters" that look identical to the supermarket water ones. Though the necks are pretty wide so you may have trouble getting a bung/airlock that is wide enough to fit. Cleaning may be harder because they'll scratch easier.

I tend to fill it up to about-or-just-above the start of where it starts to curve in to the neck. That allows plenty of room for the krausen.

That's a good idea and homebrew stores sell "5L PET fermenters" that look identical to the supermarket water ones. Though the necks are pretty wide so you may have trouble getting a bung/airlock that is wide enough to fit. Cleaning may be harder because they'll scratch easier.
I was thinking of a plastic lunch/freezer bag over the top secured with an elastic band. At just over £1, including the water, they could be consigned to the recycling bin after a single use. Although I'm loth to use plastics only once. When it comes to it, I'll see if a good dollop of bleach wont shift the gunk.

I was thinking of a plastic lunch/freezer bag over the top secured with an elastic band. At just over £1, including the water, they could be consigned to the recycling bin after a single use. Although I'm loth to use plastics only once. When it comes to it, I'll see if a good dollop of bleach wont shift the gunk.
Cling film and a rubber band has also been used successfully by people. If it actually starts to balloon up, you can apparently put a pinprick hole in it and it'll let the positive pressure out with hardly any diffusion of oxygen into the fermerter.

Cling film and a rubber band has also been used successfully by people. If it actually starts to balloon up, you can apparently put a pinprick hole in it and it'll let the positive pressure out with hardly any diffusion of oxygen into the fermerter.
Just put the lid back on without screwing it down. During active fermentation it lifts up and clicks down again as the CO2 escapes. The click is a good alternative to the sound of bubbles. :D

Latest posts

Back